• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing eps illustrator files and contour cutting

8bit

Hi, this is all new to me. Just a hobby user coming from a photography and PS background.
I have designed some simple text decals in illustrator. Created outlines, saved as eps files. I open the files in Flexi and want to set a contour cut around the edge ready to print and cut on my gerber edge and plotter.

When I use Effects:contour Cut, it just makes a box around the outside and doesn't follow the contours of the text. There is also a black box which appears around the outside of the eps file when I open it.

Whats the easiest way of contour cutting the file and how do I get rid of the black outline box?

Thanks.

sonnyphoto

Premium Subscriber
8Bit
use Effects:contour Cut, open your design center and click on contour and not square Make sure you click on the check mark also.

x2chris7x

I save as .ai file and open that in flexi instead of .eps. I don't know how it would work with the edge, but it works fine with our plotter. No need for Effects>Contour Cut

8bit

Hi, thanks for the replys. Contour cut works fine with text I write in flexi. But even with it set on contour (not rectangle etc) it still comes out as a rectangle. Its probably something very basic. I've only just started using illustrator and flexi. I've tried saving as Ai and Eps.

Thanks

thewood

In Flexi, click on the text/rectangle and select Arrange>Unmask. Delete the rectangle. There may be multiple masks.

You don't need to use the Contour Cut function to cut objects from Flexi unless your digitally printing the object(s) to be cut.

I prefer to save Illustrator files as .ai when working in conjunction with Flexi.

8bit

In Flexi, click on the text/rectangle and select Arrange>Unmask. Delete the rectangle. There may be multiple masks.

You don't need to use the Contour Cut function to cut objects from Flexi unless your digitally printing the object(s) to be cut.

I prefer to save Illustrator files as .ai when working in conjunction with Flexi.

Thanks, that sorted it.

How do mean I don't need to use the contour cut function in flexi?

I'm printing the object first on a Gerber edge then loading it into the plotter and contour cutting around the outside. Is there another way?

thewood

I'm printing the object first on a Gerber edge then loading it into the plotter and contour cutting around the outside. Is there another way?

No, that is correct. Sorry, I didn't know that your were printing on the Edge. I thought that you were doing cut vinyl only.