• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In the market for a new printer, having a hard time narrowing it down

glotex

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to get a new printer, but I'm having a hard time narrowing it down as my criteria may be a bit specific. Basically I need a something larger than 6', close to 8' if possible, with the ability to print color to black vinyl (so it would need to print white). I've found most solvent printers that do this are not larger than 64". We found a UV solution but it was on the absolute high end of our budget. Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks for your time!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what do you have presently ??

What is your budget ??

What kinda real estate do you have ??

glotex

Currently running a Mimaki JV3-133.

Our budget is between $40k and $80k, and we operate out of a warehouse so we have quite a bit of space. Our need to print on black (really any color) is because sometimes we'll need to print a white logo on a colored substrate but only in the center, so instead of printing 1,000 sqft of color we're just printing 60 sqft in the center.

player

Is it true that white ink does not cover very well? So if you printed white ink on black vinyl it would not be a bright white, but rather a milky grey white?

glotex

Is it true that white ink does not cover very well? So if you printed white ink on black vinyl it would not be a bright white, but rather a milky grey white?

We have found that to be the case in some instances, though we did find a UV printer that did a fantastic job, though it was out of our budget. I was hoping there was a solvent solution available.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With such a specific niche, you might be barking up the wrong tree putting your budget before your needs.

Kinda like saying I wanna dig holes, but don't wanna buy an auger, cause my budget is for a shovel or post hole digger. However, you have 1,000's of holes to dig.

If everything points towards buying a more expensive piece of equipment, then why not consider what all the indications point to ?? If you find one machine to do this in your price range, it's bound not to do an efficient job. Then, where will ya be at ??