• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Information on making awnings.

Salmoneye

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good source of information on the web about making awnings. I am getting ready to make some simple ones out of aluminum structural tubing and some sunbrella that I have for fun and to learn. I have the welder, commercial sewing machine, grommet machine, mask... but would love some step by step, tricks of the trade, corner techniques... ... Any info greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Salmoneye

Ha! Thanks, no matter how many times you hear it (or say it for that matter) it always rings true. Hey, I am chucking my abrasive chop saw, you should check out the 'evolution, rage3' saw. I will definitely be getting one very soon.

andy

Just don't try to cut stainless steel box or tube on your Rage 3.... the blades last about 3 minutes.

Salmoneye

They sell quite a few stainless steel dry blades but not one in 10 for the rage. How did you find the saw and blade life to be on mild steel?

MikePro

on top of aluminum welding, we also fill our seams with Lord's Adhesive and orbital sander it smooth.
Apologies that I'm not full of many tips on this kind of stuff, as we have sheet metal union workers in the shop that are touchy about me handling their gear (and work!)... so I only know the basics.

My best tip would be to not fudge the project survey! we just made some awnings for Rocky Rococo's and one of our service guys survey'd the job 2 feet SHORT! So not only did we under-bill the client, but now we have to make another section and get it wrapped in canvas and get it installed a.s.a.p. on our dime. Our client is happy that we're taking the steps to make it right, but its extra labor/trips that we could have done without.

andy

They sell quite a few stainless steel dry blades but not one in 10 for the rage. How did you find the saw and blade life to be on mild steel?

I haven't tried mild steel but I'm betting that the blades wouldn't last long on the typical 40 or 50mm, thick walled mild steel box we mainly use... perhaps 10- 15 cuts before the blade goes blunt as a butter knife. Thin wall stainless 40x 20mm box managed 6 cuts before the blade went pear shaped.

We also have the kind of abrasive chop saw you mentioned earlier... with the right discs we've been to greatly improve the cuts we make. I've toyed with the idea of getting a proper wet bandsaw... a mate of mine has one and it makes very neat, very accurate cuts.

The rage is a good machine.. the offset right hand clamp is especially useful... it's just the blade.. I'm not convinced it's as capable as the manufacturers claim. On aluminium I'm finding that whilst the cuts are pretty clean they're not as neat as cuts made with a fine set TCT blade.

Salmoneye

In mild steel there are guys quoting 750 cuts in 14g square tubing and the like. Wow, you have had some bad luck. Figures, there is never an easy solution.

I am still seeking more info on making awnings. Any other info guys?