• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Coverage

artbykrigga

So I'm trying to calculate the approximate ink coverage for a really big job. I'm using Flexi 19 and I have a HP Latex 315 printer. Does anybody know how I can figure out how much ink it will take to print my job?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
supposedly those features are in flexi. we have never bothered to set them up, so i can't tell you how it workss
we just print & cut and build profiles

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
In Production Manager, there is a tab called "job", then in that tab is "job estimation". I never use it. I end up calculating it manually. I also use the The Sign Expert website and Signcraft Sign Pricing Guide.

So I'm trying to calculate the approximate ink coverage for a really big job. I'm using Flexi 19 and I have a HP Latex 315 printer. Does anybody know how I can figure out how much ink it will take to print my job?

RIP-based job costing tools are predictive in nature.

With HP Latex, you have access to additional tools like the Embedded Web Server, and PrintOS PSP App. One is accessed from a browser on the local network, and the other is accessible on your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in the world where cellular data is available. Both contain very accurate data on ink consumption (by color and in total) for each job and in aggregate. See attached screen grab for PrintOS mobile app that shows ink and media use.

Accurate historical ink use data supports forward-looking job costing/ estimating.

Attachments

• POSMobile.jpg
    POSMobile.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

artbykrigga

With HP Latex, you have access to additional tools like the Embedded Web Server, and PrintOS PSP App. One is accessed from a browser on the local network, and the other is accessible on your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in the world where cellular data is available. Both contain very accurate data on ink consumption (by color and in total) for each job and in aggregate. See attached screen grab for PrintOS mobile app that shows ink and media use.

Accurate historical ink use data supports forward-looking job costing/ estimating.
Ah thanks for this. I heard a lot of mixed reviews from people about the mobile app. So will this be able to tell me what the coverage would be prior to printing?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Ah thanks for this. I heard a lot of mixed reviews from people about the mobile app. So will this be able to tell me what the coverage would be prior to printing?
No it's only post-printing. None of the RIPs can tell you ink usage of a 3 or 5 series machine since they are contone printers and the ink build mapping is done on the printer itself unlike halftone printers.

artbykrigga

thank you! i didn't know it was that in-depth! I think I found enough info for me to be able to make an estimated guess.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Your best bet would be to print a job that’s exactly 1 square foot (or sqm) that’s full coverage and use that data as a base point. Then price accordingly based on the coverage of the job you’d like to price.

greysquirrel

Did you download and configure the HP latex mobile app on your cell phone? All of your usage is displayed right there in the palm of your hand.

Ah thanks for this. I heard a lot of mixed reviews from people about the mobile app.

I am curious about this - what 'mixed reviews' have you heard re the mobile app?

It is the only truly mobile application in this market segment (AFAIK) that allows the user to monitor their printers in (near) real-time from literally anywhere. In addition, it provides robust reporting and telemetry data with 5 key performance indicators, consumables reporting, daily print volume notifications, and more.

Reveal1

I am curious about this - what 'mixed reviews' have you heard re the mobile app?

It is the only truly mobile application in this market segment (AFAIK) that allows the user to monitor their printers in (near) real-time from literally anywhere. In addition, it provides robust reporting and telemetry data with 5 key performance indicators, consumables reporting, daily print volume notifications, and more.

I think there may be confusion with the HP Latex Mobile app - which truly sucks. I had no idea the PrintOS PSP App existed - installing that now but looks light years ahead of the HP Latex app assuming it works bug free (which given HPs track record is not a given) it should be really useful. Thanks P Wagner.

hazartilirot

There are many unknown variables.
The profile (i.e. ink limits)… ink coverage, size of the printed image, the amount of work.

Our Onyx 19 is able to evaluate/predict the ink consumption in ml for each colour.