• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink delivery tubing JV3-130SPII

PDD

I am a newbie with these printers so excuse me if this question is odd.

In my printer I noticed that the ink from the cartridge slot goes through a larger diameter tubing (id 2.8mm or so) and then routes into the body of the printer. About halfway down in the mid section of the printer there is a brass coupling, o ring set and adapter that adapts the tubing down in size to about 1.8mm in diameter. This smaller tubing then goes to the head carriage area, where on my printer there is yet again another adapter on the dampers that brings the tubing back up to a large diameter again.

so........

seems to me there are a lot of fittings and o rings for no reason at all, just sitting in the weeds waiting to cause problems.

Would it not be a good idea to retube the printer with the large 2.8mm tubing from cartridge to damper and be done with all the o-rings etc?

Also this would aid with ink delivery volume and reduce potential starvation issues.

Am I missing something obvious here at it seems like a quick and relatively easy upgrade.

Finally, the tubing has a fairly rigid no flexible wall, somewhat opaque. Would there be any problem with running a softer wall tubing that is clear like tygon tubing. I did a three day long solvent test and there were no aparant solvent incompatibility problems. At the same time it would give me a totally new and totally clean ink transport path.

Comments and thoughts please? Am I missing something or not taking something important into consideration?

In terms of the work the printer is mostly apart so it doesn't seem to be that much work to retube. Thanks for your input.

CS-SignSupply

Possible friction problems with the softer tubing in the ink chain... If a line is damaged over time, may be easier to replace a small section rather than the entire line?

Most starvation issues begin and end in the damper most of the time.

Could be wrong... just throwing out ideas.

artbot

keep them small, there is no way the engineers went through all that trouble unless they tried it the other way with issues. ...i figure it's just a bit too tight when they added the fourth head going from the s model to the sp. tygon absorbs solvent. it doesn't melt, but it does take it on. and there will be no "ink flow" advantage. on my 160sp. i have one cart' and one line feeding both nipples/one head with a y adapter (the other for carts have clears and white). so there's no issue with two small lines feeding the single head when one small line is more than enough.