• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ink drops?

timstudio

Does anybody know what this might be?

I know my black head (sp300i) has some deflections. When printing solid red it looks like the head is spitting out drops of inkt. It's not contamination on the vinyl.

Fuzzy picture attached.

Attachments

• drop.jpg
    drop.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 134

rjssigns

Piece of hair or lint riding on the head has been my experience. Do a good maintenance cleaning and you should be fine. I use lint free tech swabs and butyl carbitol.

Fiber or hair on the head is one possibility, but not the only one.

Media contamination is another viable possibility. Contamination is not necessarily visible to the naked eye, and will only manifest after ink has been applied. A third possibility is that the media is being over saturated with ink, and artifacts like fisheyes can oftentimes occur, this is generally the case where the anomaly is only visible when printing certain colors.

timstudio

I think over saturation is the problem myself. Strange since it occurs on all profiles and media. I do notice that ink is layer down much havier lately than before. I haven't altered setting.

As said, using different profiles (and settings high Q, normal), media etc...they all appear to have more ink than i'm used to.
Also I noticed that I have to clean the aluminium plate in front of the wipers more often. Nowadays there is always some ink spats overthere.

timstudio

So I replaced the whipers, cleaned the wiper scraper, did a full head cheap for dust, hair etc, manual cleaning and it's still giving me the damn spots in the red. It looks like it only happens in red (spot color 43K.)

I whiped down the vinyl before printing (Oracal 3165) and printed a full set of red bands across the vinyl hoping there would be 1 good. No chance. Random spots like these from the beginning till the end.

I also have the feeling that the inkt is layer down much havier than it used to be. On all vinyls, profiles and settings.

The black head will be replaced within a couple of weeks due to some minor deflecting that is annoying me with printing small labels.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-03-31-10.29.jpg
    2015-03-31-10.29.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 117

jfiscus

Rap Master
Are you SURE that the vinyl isn't defective?

Or that static isn't putting itsy-bitsy pieces of lint/etc on the actual vinyl surface?
You would have to have a loupe or a digital camera with macro setting to determine that.

player

Minor deflections are not a reason to replace the head imo.

There are calibrations in service mode that make things crisper.

New caps can eliminate deflections.

I press the cleaning button every day and do a manual clean once a week.

Deflections will go away on their own... with good caps.

timstudio

Deflections are probably caused by a head strike (damn the dpf8000 which I have to use a lot and is the worst vinyl to handle in the world due to the shrinkage on the roll itself.)

I do clean every couple of days, and these deflections won't cure themselves. For me it's a reason to change the head because I also print lots and lots of small labels which aren't printed sharp enough anymore to my eye.

Caps were replaced not so long ago.

I'm not 100% sure it isn't dust picked up by static, but it only seems to occur with printing red and on all sorts of vinyl. And I also have the problem that it seems ink is layer down much heavier for a not known reason. On all vinyls, profiles, settings etc.

player

Have you tried the cleaning trick where in manual cleaning you put cleaner on a swab, then ever so lightly you barely touch the bottom of the head. Hold it there perfectly still for as long as you can (5 minutes?). Then dock the head. I have had deflections clear up with that, in a day or two on their own.

timstudio

The deflection is no problem. I know about it and a new head will be installed soon. I'm not looking for a solution fore the deflection. I was just wondering if the problem I have with the heavy ink coverage and the spatters in the red can be caused by the deflections or not. If not, than I seem to have another problem that needs to be taken care of.