• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Management

mwidmark

Hello All!

So, I've been working with our graphics team to try to better our backlit ad application process. I think we have the actual application part down but now we are struggling with our ink levels.

We lay down our ink quite thick on our backlits which makes them take forever to dry as well as makes them hard to handle when applying. So, I was discussing with the guy that did the profiling on our printer a way to cut back ink while getting the same color saturation. He told me that we do not need to use that much ink and there is a program that we could purchase that would weed out all the extra ink that we didn't need. Problem is that this program cost $20,000! I was expecting it to be much cheaper than that. He suggested Alwan CMYK Optimizer ECO.

My questions is, have any of you used this program or one similar? I'm just looking for a more cost effective solution. I know that my manager will never go for this cost unless I can really justify it (and to be honest, I'm feeling defeated).

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

milchad

Caldera's easy media plugin has a ink limit option built in during the profile process. There are YouTube videos on how to use Calder's Easy Media.

In RIP-based workflows that are typically used to drive large-format printers, ink limits are set in the media profile, which resides in the RIP. These ink limits are defined in the process of building/ creating the media profile. If you are over-inking the media (typically characterized by things like excessive dry time, easy to scratch, bleed, embossed ink, etc), this should be corrected in the media profile, before the ICC is created. Backlit media is tends to be more difficult to profile, as it should be done with a transmissive spectrophotometer which is more expensive than the more common hand held reflective units. You don't need the Alwan software, you need a media profile that is not wildly over inking the media.

mwidmark

That's sort of what I was thinking. I'd rather reprofile than spend $20,000 on a program that will do the same thing. Do you guys hire someone to profile your printer or is there a way to build profiles yourself? Our profiler is quite expensive... I'm just looking for options right now...

your input is much appreciated!

MikePro

your clients don't complain that all of their printed logos are too dark from all the double-striking?
white trans. print applied over clear print is the way to go. same color day/night, and your prints should dry like they are normally supposed to... right away.

for $20k, heck... for less than HALF of that, i'd definitely rather have someone come in a profile for me.

ProWraps

Calderas easy color, which is a rebranded Barbieri unit is capable of profiling translucent and is much more reasonable for the harware/software package. I would look into it if you do a lot of translucent materials.

mwidmark

Yes they do complain that the colors don't match. Our oranges look red and our blues/greens sometimes look black. That's why i'm trying to fix the issues. I used to work on our graphics department but I am now a quality technician and have taken the task of making our backlits look much better so we adopted a new process, whcih is great, the quality is much better, but now the material is too 'rubbery' from having too much ink and I'm attempting to tackle that issue...

your clients don't complain that all of their printed logos are too dark from all the double-striking?
white trans. print applied over clear print is the way to go. same color day/night, and your prints should dry like they are normally supposed to... right away.

for $20k, heck... for less than HALF of that, i'd definitely rather have someone come in a profile for me.