• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inquiry about outsourcing

Jwill14

Hey guys,

Little background about our company. We have been in business almost 30 years. We initially started as a window tint shop at the very beginning, so over 30 years experience doing window tint, we also throughout the past 20 years have added custom stereo builds (boxes, fiberglass work, ipad dash, etc.), and truck accessories. In the last 3-4 years we added vehicle wraps after getting inquiries from repeat customers about doing full wraps. (We have always done stripes, racing stripes, graphics, etc. )

My question is we have always outsourced our designs and printing to other shops in our area. In the last year or so, we have had a bad problem of these shops were outsourcing the designs and printing to, getting back to us in a timely manner or they want to charge us a ridiculous price. I understand they have to make money, but if im coming to you weekly and sometimes multiple times a week to get stuff printed, I would think we could work out a deal so im not paying full retail like a one time customer. I cant make any money on my end, when they want to charge me $4500 to print out a full wrap. My question is, is there any companies on here I could talk to about designing and printing for us? Most the time we already have a rough idea of what were wanting. I just picked up an account for a group of trophy trucks, that spent $200,000 on paint last year for the trucks alone after each race. And this year they just want to do full wraps after each race, so just weighing my options because honestly Im far from ready to buy a printer and all the software.

Any ideas?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of the shops you are dealing with, do you have a favorite ?? I would go to them and explain that you would like to continue doing business with them, but if they aren't gonna cut you a break, you'll take your business elsewhere. No one, believe me....... no one wants to lose money and at those prices, they won't be losing if they cut it back 20%, 30% or even 50%. However, if they all know you're using several shops, then it might be out of contempt for YOU not being loyal.

I will say, I'm so happy to see you not here asking, what programs do I get, what printers, do I need a laminator and we can learn the software quickly. Thank you for that............ :thumb:

Merchant members probably won't sell to you or shouldn't as you're not really a sign shop and wholesaling means keeping it under one umbrella, but you should be able to find a shop maybe out of your competition radius who will work with you. Good luck.

Jwill14

Appreciate the replies. And I agree with you, I have only used two local shops before. One they are just complete jerks to be honest and that's who I was using exclusively. But everytime I buy something I notice the price goes up a little everytime. The other is a design and wrap shop that stopped in my shop and said they were more interested in designing and printing then they were installing. I thought perfect, just what I need. Then the first thing I sent them to design and print, they quoted me $4500 for a 4 door chevy truck. There was no way I was going to be able to make money at that price.

But I really appreciate the help. I have been searching on here, but like you said most post are asking what printer, what software, etc. and right now I dont think its feasible for a machine and I am more interested in just outsourcing the design and printing and doing the install through my shop.

rossmosh

I'd look into three things:

1. Find new vendors. Honestly, shipping from out of the area shouldn't be an issue. I'd bet any added shipping expense will be offset by savings by creating a wholesale relationship.

2. Outsourcing the design work and doing the printing in house.

3. Hire a designer and buy equipment.

You're an established business with a solid business plan. Unless you have strong objections to it, it might make a lot of sense to bring the work in house. You will likely find uses for the equipment for other parts of your business. It's one thing when you're trying to create demand by buying a machine. It's another thing to have demand and buy a machine.

Jwill14

You do have a point there. I think the biggest thing holding us back from buying all the equipment and then hiring someone, is just like I have seen here. You bring them in, pay for all the equipment, pay them a salary plus benefits, then they decide they want to open a shop right down the road and compete with you. I don't have a problem with competition, but if were putting the money into our business, which has taken 30 years to grow where we are, for brand new machines and software for someone to use and design on and learn and get more experience, I don't think I would be to happy with them leaving after a year and then trying to open their own business because they think its a quick way to make money.

As for learning myself, I wouldn't be opposed to but I just don't see me having the time. My family owns the business and between me and my dad we manage and run everything with a handful of employees. Im 25 so the technology aspect of the computer isn't a problem, its more of the fact that I know designing is a whole different monster. Im just weighing my options still, but I still think at this point were not ready toi purchase our own equipment, but it wouldn't be out of the question later on down the road.

rossmosh

You do have a point there. I think the biggest thing holding us back from buying all the equipment and then hiring someone, is just like I have seen here. You bring them in, pay for all the equipment, pay them a salary plus benefits, then they decide they want to open a shop right down the road and compete with you. I don't have a problem with competition, but if were putting the money into our business, which has taken 30 years to grow where we are, for brand new machines and software for someone to use and design on and learn and get more experience, I don't think I would be to happy with them leaving after a year and then trying to open their own business because they think its a quick way to make money.

As for learning myself, I wouldn't be opposed to but I just don't see me having the time. My family owns the business and between me and my dad we manage and run everything with a handful of employees. Im 25 so the technology aspect of the computer isn't a problem, its more of the fact that I know designing is a whole different monster. Im just weighing my options still, but I still think at this point were not ready toi purchase our own equipment, but it wouldn't be out of the question later on down the road.

There is a universal trend in why people leave to start up their own shop: They feel under paid, over worked, and under appreciated. If you want to hire a designer for $12/hr, they aren't going to stick around long. If you want to pay them $18-20/hr and give them benefits, they may stick around for a while. If you look at Costco vs Walmart you'll see that in one case they value and pay their employees well. As a result, they have less turn over, better employees, and their employees are happier to come into work every day. Walmart, you see none of that.

All that said, based on what you're saying, of my list, option #2 seems to fit what you need best. You need a designer to pump out work for you and you can do the printing work yourself. Get some quotes and see if the numbers work. If they do, buy the equipment. If it doesn't outsource the work. I'd let the numbers do most of the talking in this case.

Jwill14

Agree with you, maybe that's why im seeing the post on here like I am of people asking advice about opening their own shop. Ill start looking into printers, so I guess I never really thought of option 2. So basically I would just buy a printer and the print software, hire an outside designer, they would send me the design once we agree and I print myself. I think that wouldn't be a bad option actually.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a very good possibility, but remember, when your designer or your printer equipment or whatever..... is off-site, you lose quality and control. Most of all, you lose time. Again, what does time equal ?? Anything out of your reach can and will suffer if the slightest thing goes wrong. Customer gets there and says, whoa...... that's spelled wrong. Or, hey, can you ad this ?? If all of your ability is not on-site, you are at someone's mercy, somewhere. it can be done, but you hafta be extra extra careful.
In my eyes, I would think a designer on staff would be more beneficial than equipment. He can design your wraps, since you have so many coming in, start into banners and/or small signs and once you figure out a direction you're going, get the appropriate equipment which would best suit your needs, rather than having the wrong something from the start.