• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install Checklist

StarSign

I am finally putting together a simple checklist for my installers to complete before they leave the jobsite. Was wondering if anyone else uses a checklist and would you be willing to share? Thanks

ikarasu

In theory it's a good idea.

In reality your installer is going to leave it until the end and then Mas check everything off.

When I started at this shop Ive never seen our forklift driver do his inspection list. I'm big on safety, so I asked about it... And he says he does and showed me his booklet with every single days checklist in it for months. I was confused since I've never seen him do anything such as lifting the mast to the top and tilting to check for leaks... So I asked him to do a checklist I front of me the ne t day. He had no idea how to do half the stuff on the list.... He just marked it off as complete.

People do what they know and fake the rest, or think it's useless.and just another step in a job they already know how to do, so they ignore it.

Hopefully it works out for you, but experience tells me everyone hates paperwork and just half-asses it!

Val47

I am finally putting together a simple checklist for my installers to complete before they leave the jobsite. Was wondering if anyone else uses a checklist and would you be willing to share? Thanks

Are these permanent employees of yours, temporary workers, or contracted installers?
A check list will will work differently depending on the worker who needs to 1. do the work and 2. be the one to check it off.

checklists are an accountability thing for you. for the person doing it, it's either direction for the do'er, or just paperwork to fill out for the supervisor.

what is the purpose for the checklist, who is it for, and to what extent?
things to consider while creating a checklist.

ps. I love checklist (created for me, by me.)

I tried doing that e few years ago. The problem that I found is that you need a different checklist for different kinds of installs. Vinyls vs. Acrylics. Post & Panels vs. Coroplast. Channel Letters vs ACM. What I ended up doing what adding racks to the truck so that some things always stayed on the truck. Ladder, level, extension cords, self-tappers, lock-tite, a tool box (hammer, wrenches, pliers, knife) If I had room I would have left the generator in there too.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I tried that too. I'm a smaller scale shop so most of my supplies fit into a carry-all tote. I have all my install tools in it and my spray bottles of chemicals, heat gun and a pair of gloves. After an install I leave it sit on the counter and when I have time I refill the bottles and anything else. I have forgotten ladders or small step stools so I keep a small step stool in my van now AND a box of shop rags! Somehow I'm often missing a tape measure so I have an extra in my van too.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Checklists are tough. To a great employee, they feel like a waste of time, big brother intruding and micromanaging. To a bad employee, they are marginally effective. I think your better off creating an install kit for each employee with basic tools and make them responsible for it. I suggest at least 2 each of the inexpensive tools like squeegees, knives, extra blades, tape... It is quicker and cheaper to grab the spare than spend 5 or 10 minutes looking for a tool. That's 5 or 10 dollars in billable time wasted looking for an inexpensive tool.

All the major tools stay with the vehicle, like ladders, drills, levels, a basic hardware selection, and spare essential tools. Each shop will have a different workflow and tool requirement. Make sure they understand that if they use a spare they need to replace it or it won't be there the next time.

After that, it becomes a management problem. Have a quick meeting before they load up and discuss any special tools that may be required. Many times the installers are going without ever seeing the site and may not know what is required. A daily, weekly, then periodic reminders help until it becomes a habit.

Try and simplify your requirements down to the basics. I used to use lists to track VIN's, Tag #s, and Unit #s. It was too time-consuming and installers are usually battling the clock and trying to get home at a reasonable time because they are the last in line. They have to deal with all the problems that weren't addressed in sales, design, and production. Now I take a picture of the VIN and any damage that may come back on me. When completed 8 pictures of the vehicle. One from each side and corner which will include the Tag and Unit numbers. With the VIN first on each vehicle, it's a place holder between each vehicle. If they need to be written down, let someone in the office do it instead of texting all day.

Once you have established a clear policy/requirements, hold the bad ones accountable and reward the good ones. At one shop I worked at the boss paid $10 per job that went without a hiccup and it reduced the problems enough to pay for itself.

And remember, all of us make mistakes from time to time. it is the consistent offenders that are the problem.

P.S. One thing I learned from my first boss was to walk around the vehicle and double-check for trash and tools before you leave. A couple of minutes a job will save you $ in the long run. " I can't find my V-Cat, RollePro, magnets...

Last edited:

StarSign

It's all about the accountability and time management. My hope is they will get tired of answering the same questions and just start doing things a second nature. We all make make mistakes and forget things, just trying to minimize that part of it and hoping it will keep my blood pressure down.

Baz

Most important thing for me and my installers is:
Even though you finished the job and packed everything up.
Before you get back in the truck - DO A FINAL WALK AROUND!

I got so sick and tired of losing hammers, levels and even a cordless drill sitting on top of a sign cabinet (street level fortunately).
It is a habit now but even though i know i packed everything. I still walk around with a smile on knowing the day i stop doing it will be the day i lose something again!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some years ago, we basically outfitted each truck with everything it could use. We have sets of triplicate and even four of some things. The only thing needed extra would be if we needed bags of cement, or an extra generator. Have jumper cables in all the trucks, water, squeegees and vinyl removal stuff with alcohol, levels, pencils of all colors, knives and just about anything you can imagine that won't always hit ya in the face, til ya get there. I have machetes in all trucks, at least one gun, except if we're going outta state, wasp spray, gloves, and have an extra set of weed whackers and trimmers, just in case. Large lights, flashlights and certain electrical tools. There might be other things, but I can't think of at the moment....... )))

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Most important thing for me and my installers is:
Even though you finished the job and packed everything up.
Before you get back in the truck - DO A FINAL WALK AROUND!

I got so sick and tired of losing hammers, levels and even a cordless drill sitting on top of a sign cabinet (street level fortunately).
It is a habit now but even though i know i packed everything. I still walk around with a smile on knowing the day i stop doing it will be the day i lose something again!
That's similar to one of my main rules before getting into the truck is to do a 360. You walk around the entire vehicle, checking tool box doors, making sure trailer is secured, stuff and ladders are strapped down, and make sure traffic cones are picked up so you don't run over them.

(Ps. I did not 360 the day I ran over the bollard.. that was a reminder of importance)

Stacey K

I like making signs
Some years ago, we basically outfitted each truck with everything it could use. We have sets of triplicate and even four of some things. The only thing needed extra would be if we needed bags of cement, or an extra generator. Have jumper cables in all the trucks, water, squeegees and vinyl removal stuff with alcohol, levels, pencils of all colors, knives and just about anything you can imagine that won't always hit ya in the face, til ya get there. I have machetes in all trucks, at least one gun, except if we're going outta state, wasp spray, gloves, and have an extra set of weed whackers and trimmers, just in case. Large lights, flashlights and certain electrical tools. There might be other things, but I can't think of at the moment....... )))
In my shop because I don't have a gun. Shoots 22 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPEG
    IMG_2512.JPEG
    539.8 KB · Views: 160

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 full cans all the time. One for each hand if the person is by themselves. I probably have 10 cans of that sh!t around the shop.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have 2 full cans all the time. One for each hand if the person is by themselves. I probably have 10 cans of that sh!t around the shop.
Do you know if it freezes? Would be good to have one in my van but my garage is not heated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know. I have it in my garage at home, here in the shop and also in my sheds at home. If it ever froze, it still worked later on. Maybe ya wanna read the label.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahahaaa.... I meant a gun with bullets. Not a spray gun. I have 100 rounds in each vehicle. All 357s and one .38.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If I have to buy another set of bolt cutters again while 3 guys shove their heads up eachother's a$$....
Luckily the hardware store is within 100 ft and they will let me grab and go, just come back in and tell them what I grabbed...

I think it was pretty clear that I was talking about cheap tools, I even listed the types of tools I was talking about. I talked about walking around the area before you leave to make sure nothing is left especially the expensive tools as well.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Ahh, JBurton. You have a much different workflow than I am used to.

On the flip side, if you buy squeegees or tape by the case, hide the case and leave a reasonable amount out. If your employees see a case setting around, it will magically disappear in no time. You need to monitor how they are taking care of their tools and supplies, kind of like toilet paper at work.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Jester limits his employees to "two squares a day"...

I had an employee that never lost any tools and took very good care of all of them... they were his that he bought with his $.