• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install on stucco facade/styrofoam

I did a search, and found one or two helpful things, but am still coming up short of what I need.

I am installing a 5x8' alumilite sign on a building that has a stucco/styrofoam facade over cinderblock. I did some test holes and can't see to find any studs or facing other than the cinder block...

My question is: The foam is about 1" thick, then there is approx 1" of space before I hit the block. If I use tapcons or somehting similar, should I just tighten them until my frame is tight against the foam and stop there? I assume there is some sort of framing behind the foam, but I am tentative about tightening too much for fear of crushing the foam.

1leonchen

are u certain it concrete block behind it. use tap cons screws the screw must be at least 1 1/4 in the concrete.just tighten the screws unit it it sightly sinks the foam just a hair line sink into the foam. i would also use a flexible painters chalk paintable to help hold it preferably clear. use a cordless drill to tighten the screws also hex head is always better. stainless steel tap cons don't rust.if u cant get stainless steel tap cons u can use # 14 stainless coarse thread screws and a 1/4 masonry bit but u will need a cordless impact drill if u use #14 screws.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I call out a spacer so the sign does not rest on the foam/stucco and you know the point where the sign is tight on the wall without damaging the foam.

Thanks for the advice! I will make sure to buy some long tapcons...

I call out a spacer so the sign does not rest on the foam/stucco and you know the point where the sign is tight on the wall without damaging the foam.

I am using pressure treated 5/4x6" boards as spacers. They are going to be tapconed into the wall and the sign will be screwed to them.

daveb

General Know-it-all
:banghead:The spacers go from the block to the outside of the "foam/stucco". If you damage the "foam/stucco" you are liable for it. We use 1/2'' PVC pipe, you drill a hole big enough to put the PVC pipe against the block, silicone good around the pipe to keep water out and your tapcons go through the pipe into the block, the pipe should come out a little past the stucco, snug your sign up against the PVC pipe, that keeps you from causing any damage to the stucco. A drawing might be necessary but I just don't have time right now.

:banghead:The spacers go from the block to the outside of the "foam/stucco". If you damage the "foam/stucco" you are liable for it. We use 1/2'' PVC pipe, you drill a hole big enough to put the PVC pipe against the block, silicone good around the pipe to keep water out and your tapcons go through the pipe into the block, the pipe should come out a little past the stucco, snug your sign up against the PVC pipe, that keeps you from causing any damage to the stucco. A drawing might be necessary but I just don't have time right now.

I totally get it. Use the pipe like a sleeve and shoot the tapcon down the middle of it. Awesome. :notworthy:

This also solves my concerns about things tipping downwards because of the space. Phew what a relief. So simple, I wish I could say I had though of it...