• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

install sign post in concrete or asphalt

bigben

What is the ''standard'' way to install a metal u-post in concrete or asphalt? I have a post driver for soft ground, but there is no way it would work in concrete or asphalt. How should I proceed or what tool I need? Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Either a small jack hammer or a large SDS type of core drill. They can go up to 6" diameter.

pjfmeister

I've banged several of these directly through asphalt with our post drivers....we have oversized custom made post drivers to drive them through our rocky hard ground and usually the asphalt is the easy part to get through HA. Concrete I would say you are out of luck without cutting the concrete.

bigben

Thanks for the info. I see often on the road that post seems just stick directly in asphalt or concrete. I was wondring how they to that.

CanuckSigns

If its only a few to be installed in concrete, look into the bold down bases, way less expensive then renting a core drill or hiring a company.

For asphalt if you have a sleeve pounder it should go through it relatively easily. But if you have a bunch, do yourself a favour and rent a gas powered post pounder!

Simon Nussbaum

Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet
If you're in a cold area with the asphalt you can heat it up with blow torch first and then pound through. Save some time and it looks cleaner. For concrete I agree with canuck, the bases are a good way to go. For concrete it's always smart to know if there is anything structural going on with where you are installing and if it is pre-stressed or not. If it's just a pad do whatever but be careful in parking garages, etc., about drilling too deep.