• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 4x4 realtor signpost

Cto

We have three full time real estate only install crews. We have a huge residential account that only works out for us because we have been doing it for so many years we have it down to a science. We pay the installers (1099 subs) per install (single 4x4 posts with a cross piece). The more work they do, the more they get paid. It took us many years of losing money to figure it all out but now we have so much volume and such a good system that it does very well. I can say, the only reason it works is because the customer (biggest real estate company in our region by far) doesn't let the agents have any contact with us or our guys. We have a whole intranet system for order entry that is controlled by their office managers, set lead times, and very clear expectations. The parent company also pays for it all which helps a ton.

On the commercial side, we also do a lot. We dedicate one day a week for one resi crew to do commercial. Those jobs are paid by the hour and charged by the hour. It is our A1 crew so we have full trust in them to do the work quickly and correctly. They have a system where they assemble the sign on the ground and drop it in the holes after they are dug. They have a pole that is marked that they lay down to know where to dig the holes (for 4x4's and 4x8's). After many years of losing money quoting jobs we decided to go hourly. If the customer wants a quote I quote it way high assuming the worst and usually don't get them. There are so many unknowns when digging around here, a job you thought was going to take 15 minutes could take an hour and vice versa. We are lucky to have some large customers who trust us to do the right thing and we are always upfront with them on the why and how.

That said, all real estate accounts are done on our terms. We get a few agencies that come to us every year because they don't like their guy but they don't end up going with us because they don't want to meet our terms. We have a very good system that works extremely well if the customer wants to buy in. The key term to pretty much all of this is that we very rarely interact with agents. This is a complete generalization and I know it's not fair to many good people but real estate agents are the worst. They are usually arrogant, demanding, and unrealistic. We deal mostly with admin folks and it works great.

Thank you for the time to reply. Do you have a picture of how you set up your trucks to hold the posts in transport?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Make little shelves out of wood with L brackets and line them up at the bottom of where the sign should go. When you lift the sign up, it will hold it in place perfectly level. No second person needed.
rXryGIOSMYGPiRwTQbpbdGO9mZEPsu6-T4xP53vpKPx9SL_zvL6L8GyrQKjSG9JAeDqrpgqA4b9NrakCUScUojNob3pgUGzZd7K9km7ARVezm9_RiEGkzZfescfHvyp7c_EH137ZUX8=w320-h657-no

s8t2ydwQA4zireeIF36yPSH2_INqIn9-jIHEG7od-Rv_RgEZt0SSPiZsW7KQyjNOwlg-O15ktZmfajNaEaQTbZMGTrSdowEpuIxbwqRPTlR3IPR0Rbx2QfocYLHO6jwul5ACSxMCuJs=w1280-h623-no

lHuC48xA5z4Pc3tbXHFdO4apeSFUbNwaF983eXszziP8-lNvFV8Nw3jk0VTJlaFDqFxVZHSdYitoW7D3HXSLFYoyjLGsiTdetX1kQxn8XHHW5pE94-f-X6iMCJkNCx_MCz7Zep-m_BA=w1280-h623-no

Paint your fasteners for that Texas quality finished look
uJAsAcjTN9x8Q2tjK4bV6b49eN1FzSnZ7TBGgWN3SbLJJET0JdVrNVUoW78RXjxXkmekULpP1nXX0xDGECGiKykVcDyeiuuBtL3ox9NN-fUpvqyk9hkp_f-U_kHqVLDC4yQcoo7FjqA=w320-h657-no

That's pretty much what I've done my whole life, but now that I'm getting older and still doing these things, I'm tending to take some of these easy gimmicks and use them also the last year or two. Slinging a 4x8'x3/4" MDO board ain't all that easy anymore. :covereyes:

I used to do that until one day it was windy and a gust took ripped the sign off the post at the corner while I was leveling it. My method keeps it secure until you get some screws in it. We have strong wind here in Texas so ya gotta work around it.

Rather than the whole wood block thing, Just put a C-clamp on one post, put a level across and put another C-clamp on the other post. Use the clamps to rest the sign on.

Not saying it's wrong, to each their own...but I'm curious why you attach them after you install the posts? I typically screw the faces to the posts while everything is laying on the ground. Super easy to square up and then you can just tip the whole assembled thing up and let your posts slide into the holes. Concrete, level, plumb and done.

If you're doing stacked 4x8's, you can just attach the lower panel, tip the whole thing up, slide the posts in the holes, concrete/level/plumb and stake it, then rest your top panel on top of the lower panel and screw it to the posts. A horizontal 2x4 stringer towards the top on the back of the posts helps in standing it up.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not saying it's wrong, to each their own...but I'm curious why you attach them after you install the posts? I typically screw the faces to the posts while everything is laying on the ground. Super easy to square up and then you can just tip the whole assembled thing up and let your posts slide into the holes. Concrete, level, plumb and done.

If you're doing stacked 4x8's, you can just attach the lower panel, tip the whole thing up, slide the posts in the holes, concrete/level/plumb and stake it, then rest your top panel on top of the lower panel and screw it to the posts. A horizontal 2x4 stringer towards the top on the back of the posts helps in standing it up.

Yup your right, if I have a flat surface BEHIND the holes I'll do the frame and sign on the ground and then tip it over. Horizontal 4x8's can be dicey to tip over by yourself however. Ya'll may think it's silly, but I have some back issues so I'm not going to aggravate for a week just so I can lift up a heavy sign. It's a cleaner motion for me to lift the panel straight up with my arms than bend down and lift the entire sign from the ground and get it up over my head as I'm walking to get it in the holes... that's way too risky for me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's all fine and dandy, but how do you do this, if you're simply replacing a 4×8, 4×4 or any size....... do you take the old posts out ?? What if they're cemented in ??

Of course it's easier to do it your way, but how often do you have nice flat spaces where you're putting up a sign out in the field ??

Moze

Precision Sign Services
That's all fine and dandy, but how do you do this, if you're simply replacing a 4×8, 4×4 or any size....... do you take the old posts out ?? What if they're cemented in ??

Of course it's easier to do it your way, but how often do you have nice flat spaces where you're putting up a sign out in the field ??

No lol, I don't take the old posts out. I run a screw into each post, just underneath/against the existing panel, leaving just enough out so it extends past the panel. Then I take the screws out of the existing panel and the screws I put in the posts hold the weight of the panel. Easy to take the old one down and easy to put the new one up.

I'm in Texas.....everything is flat here. I've never had a situation where I couldn't do it that way.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yup your right, if I have a flat surface BEHIND the holes I'll do the frame and sign on the ground and then tip it over. Horizontal 4x8's can be dicey to tip over by yourself however. Ya'll may think it's silly, but I have some back issues so I'm not going to aggravate for a week just so I can lift up a heavy sign. It's a cleaner motion for me to lift the panel straight up with my arms than bend down and lift the entire sign from the ground and get it up over my head as I'm walking to get it in the holes... that's way too risky for me.

Not silly at all....I have back issues as well. For me, bending over/digging the holes bothers me way more than lifting the faces. I'm usually feeling it the next day.

Johnny Best

I received my PHD (post hole digging) at a young age. If I am digging in hard ground then laying the 4x4x8 on the ground and attaching the panel to them dig the holes, then pick up the posts and sign and slide it in the hole sounds niffty. But, if you have sandy soil and with brute strenght, lift up posts and 4x8panel, and slide it in the holes and having them cave in is not my idea of haveing a productive day. Might work with a smaller panel where you can lift it up and place in or have a helper lift up the whole thing with you.
But digging one hole at a time has always been faster and easier for me. I do not have a bad back and can bench press prison weight. And like my father use to sing when we dug holes, "you never get rich from a'digging a ditch, your in the Army now".

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I wish we had sand......everything around here is Houston Black....AKA Black Gumbo. It sucks to dig in.

That being said, I would think in sand it would be worth bringing a couple of plywood strips to put in the holes that the posts could slide down against. I dunno....

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I wish we had sand......everything around here is Houston Black....AKA Black Gumbo. It sucks to dig in.

That being said, I would think in sand it would be worth bringing a couple of plywood strips to put in the holes that the posts could slide down against. I dunno....

Most of my work is in the Tyler area.. they have sand there and its a dream to dig. 1-2 minutes and you've got 30" dug.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aw man, around here, it's mostly clay or shale...... and lotsa rocks, bedrock in most cases. Sometimes ya dig a hole and when you get to the next hole, ya hit nothing but rocks and hafta start all over. Not to mention roots.

Cto

Does anyone have and pictures of how you have set up your truck to transport several 4×4 real estate posts by chance? I see some guys just toss em in the bed and let em hang over the tailgate. Gotta be a better way

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Does anyone have and pictures of how you have set up your truck to transport several 4×4 real estate posts by chance? I see some guys just toss em in the bed and let em hang over the tailgate. Gotta be a better way

Are you pre-assembling them? Do you have a commercial pickup truck or one with a small bed?

Mine has a 4'x8' bed and fits the signs just fine. The posts I use are 10' long so they hang out 2' or so which is no big deal. If you have a bunch to haul or you have a small pickup bed, you might consider getting a small utility trailer. I have a 6'x10' and it's easy to store and drive around.

Cto

Are you pre-assembling them? Do you have a commercial pickup truck or one with a small bed?

Mine has a 4'x8' bed and fits the signs just fine. The posts I use are 10' long so they hang out 2' or so which is no big deal. If you have a bunch to haul or you have a small pickup bed, you might consider getting a small utility trailer. I have a 6'x10' and it's easy to store and drive around.

We have 3 2019 f150 crew cab trucks with the 6 foot or so bed. They are pre assembled posts. We built a cross member that nests in the bed pocket stakes that keep the posts off the tailgate but we still are unable to drop the tailgate so it's a bit of a pain to access the space under the posts. Just thought someone might have a better setup.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We have 3 2019 f150 crew cab trucks with the 6 foot or so bed. They are pre assembled posts. We built a cross member that nests in the bed pocket stakes that keep the posts off the tailgate but we still are unable to drop the tailgate so it's a bit of a pain to access the space under the posts. Just thought someone might have a better setup.

I duno, maybe someone has some kind of idea. Like I said, if I have a bunch to do I throw them on the trailer... that way it leaves the bed of the truck free to access cement bags, water jugs and shovels. Also makes loading and unloading them easier since they are lower to the ground.

20160526_183125.jpg

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Full sized trucks are easy if they have the pockets for the stakes on the top rail of the bed.
We cut the pallet dividers from pallets of 4x4's down to fit inside the pockets and stick up 3-4" past the top of the cross piece so the posts don't slide past the end of the bed. Cut a piece of plywood for the bottom and have it stick out past the back of the tailgate so the posts don't hit the tailgate. Then a 2x4 or 4x4 on the top screwed to the pieces coming out of the bed pockets and the plywood.

For small pick up trucks, remove the tail lights and lag bolt 2 4x4's vertically to the inside of the bed. Make sure the tailgate closes and cut the pieces long enough so the top of them is past the top of the bed and the bottom of the 4x4 rests on the bed. The length of the uprights will depend on the configuration of the truck. a 4x4 will be shorter than a 4x2 so you will need to test fit a full sized post to see if it will scrape on the ground, even when going up a steep driveway.
Then lag bolt a 4x4 across the top of the two uprights. You should put something to stop the posts from sliding past the end of the vertical piece, we use a large eye screw because we have them.
For the smaller pick ups you will need something from keeping the end of the post in the bed from popping up when on the road. You can use several ways we do this. One is with a tool box mounted to the front of the bed. Another is to put a cross piece somewhere screwed to the top of the bed. the last way we do this is to have a box for the panels in the front of the bed with 2- 4x4 spacers stacked underneath mounted to the bed. We also have generator racks from the past 20 years of trying different things that mount in the bed (one is pictured with a power inverter & deep cycle battery mounted in a box) that hold the front of the posts down.

Attachments

• 2020-08-03_09-40-05_152.jpeg
    2020-08-03_09-40-05_152.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 298
  • 2020-08-03_09-40-13_426.jpeg
    2020-08-03_09-40-13_426.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 311
  • 2020-08-05_08-30-09_473.jpeg
    2020-08-05_08-30-09_473.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 291
  • 2020-08-05_08-30-16_245.jpeg
    2020-08-05_08-30-16_245.jpeg