• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Installing indoor signs from suspended ceilings?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Any tips/advice on how to hang a couple of small indoor signs from suspended ceilings? The bars don't line up in a way that they would be useful (and I can't say I know what hardware I'd use even if they did). Pic attached.

Need to install (2) signs like this, they're 5" x 24" x 6mm sintra and they're supposed to hang roughly 12" down from the ceiling.

Anything I can quickly rig up or get locally so I can install these signs tomorrow?

Pre-drill a hole in the ceiling tile and pop some kind of wall anchor in there then run fishing line to the sign? I dunno. This really isn't my area of expertise and I'm struggling to come up with a good plan for such a simple project.

I feel stupid even asking but I have so many other things going on that I can't wrap my head around this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Pharmacy_Prescription signs.jpg
    Pharmacy_Prescription signs.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 415

weyandsign

Maybe use thin steel cable from the hardware store, and anchor it to a dowel rod or something above the ceiling panel.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
They make clips that attach to the drop ceiling grid. You could use those and jack chain or aircraft cable with S-hooks.

If you have to go through the ceiling tile itself, just lay a 1x4 or similar above the tiles so it spans the metal grids, drill holes through the tile and 1x4 and use aircraft cable.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
They make clips that attach to the drop ceiling grid. You could use those and jack chain or aircraft cable with S-hooks.

If you have to go through the ceiling tile itself, just lay a 1x4 or similar above the tiles so it spans the metal grids, drill holes through the tile and 1x4 and use aircraft cable.

Thanks. Unfortunately in this case the grid doesn't line up well with where the sign is to be hung so I'll have do drill through the tiles.

You don't think the 1x4 above the tile is overkill to hang such a small light sign? (I know you're the install expert, just curious)

I was kind of thinking maybe just (2) toggle bolts through the ceiling tile then hang the chain/cable from that?

Maybe I'm being naïve, I'm really not familiar with how ceiling tiles behave and how strong they actually are.

signheremd

Thanks. Unfortunately in this case the grid doesn't line up well with where the sign is to be hung so I'll have do drill through the tiles.

You don't think the 1x4 above the tile is overkill to hang such a small light sign? (I know you're the install expert, just curious)

I was kind of thinking maybe just (2) toggle bolts through the ceiling tile then hang the chain/cable from that?

Maybe I'm being naïve, I'm really not familiar with how ceiling tiles behave and how strong they actually are.
Most ceiling tiles crumble fairly easily... I suggest following Moze's advice.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The ceiling tiles will hold with the toggle bolts. The problem with suspended signs is kids like to jump and hit them lol. That's just a fact. The 1x4 just ensures the sign will stay in place. It's overkill but it's cheap insurance.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The ceiling tiles will hold with the toggle bolts. The problem with suspended signs is kids like to jump and hit them lol. That's just a fact. The 1x4 just ensures the sign will stay in place. It's overkill but it's cheap insurance.

Yeah good call. I think these will be high enough that it would take a pretty tall kid to hit but you make a good point. I'd rather not have to go back and replace them.

Already enough screw ups with this job, $15k worth of channel letters basically going in the garbage because proper proofing protocol wasn't followed.

PS. Anyone looking for some cheap 10" channel letters that say "PHARMACY", "LAB", or "CLINIC"..........? :doh:

Thanks for the tips Moze, appreciate your insight.

Johnny Best

Most drop ceilings are the hanger grid frames with ceiling tiles drop in. Put your sign up against the ceiling and make a mark on the panel where you want it to hang. Make sure your hands are clean or wear some clean gloves when handling tiles. Take the one tile down you want to make the hole in. Do not use a drill because of the fiber tiles are just that, fiber, use an awl to make small hole in tile, no mess. Cut a 3"x3" 6mm or 3mm pvc square and use a screw ibolt to screw into the pvc you have positioned on the inside of the tile. Then reinstall ceiling tile Use 50lb fishing line with an albright knot so you can position sin to be level. It took me longer to write this than to do it. You do not need to lug all your dewalt tools into the store to do it. Just a 6' stepladder and awl, ibolts, and line.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Most drop ceilings are the hanger grid frames with ceiling tiles drop in. Put your sign up against the ceiling and make a mark on the panel where you want it to hang. Make sure your hands are clean or wear some clean gloves when handling tiles. Take the one tile down you want to make the hole in. Do not use a drill because of the fiber tiles are just that, fiber, use an awl to make small hole in tile, no mess. Cut a 3"x3" 6mm or 3mm pvc square and use a screw ibolt to screw into the pvc you have positioned on the inside of the tile. Then reinstall ceiling tile Use 50lb fishing line with an albright knot so you can position sin to be level. It took me longer to write this than to do it. You do not need to lug all your dewalt tools into the store to do it. Just a 6' stepladder and awl, ibolts, and line.

Thanks for this, I like this idea. And thanks for the tip about drilling into the tiles, I definitely will use the awl trick and probably have some 50 lb test at home too!

garyroy

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If it's anything like my high school, grab a senior and have him pitch pencils up at the sign, should skewer it right in place.

Just throw all the letters you have in here, it'll generate a list of potential words, print them out and tape them to your monitor. Now every time you get a new call you can double check against that sheet. Never know when someone is going to call in for a "calamari pinball" sign...
You can't grab a high school senior unless they are over 18. Just make sure an ID

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Finally got this install done yesterday.

Punched a hole through with an awl then threaded i-hook bolts through. I had cut some 3mm pvc panels to stick on top of the ceiling tiles but both signs spanned across the framing so it wouldn't have really worked.

I used a big washer and a nut on top and snugged it up against ceiling tiles then ran fishing line down from the hooks to the sign. (I really need to work on my knots - getting those signs at the right height and level took embarrassingly long)

Thanks for all the tips guys and gals!