• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Installing Versaworks to Secondary Drive

lolfailure

My boot drive is a very small SSD (120gb) and it seems like Versaworks is constantly filling it up with RIP data, I have to delete things very frequently. I also have a 1TB drive in my PC with over 700gb free space but I don't see any option to install in a different location. Is this just not possible?

Jester

Slow is Fast
Apparently not. I suggest you submit a product suggestion to Roland. The more of us asking, the more chance they will address this in a future release.

netsol

you know, versaworks is not a terribly sophisticated program (not meant in a bad way)
i would be tempted to do an install, then do a "search & replace" or at least a search, and manually change
working directories

that being said, i would rather do this on something other than a machine that generates the bulk of my income (i have been wrong
in the past)

netsol

by the sound of it, all you really need to change is working directories for windows and versaworks

lolfailure

I was going to point you to this earlier thread, but I see you were the OP!

https://signs101.com/threads/roland-versaworks-insufficient-memory-error.157498/#post-1469864
yeah i was hoping something had changed with the update from dual to 6 but i guess not. roland still hasnt fixed their printer profiles to work with the new inks they pushed on us so i'm not sure what i expected. i know they have a rep on here maybe this will get their attention, their phone support didn't seem to understand why i would even want to do such a thing when i spoke to them about it during our upgrade.

by the sound of it, all you really need to change is working directories for windows and versaworks
i tried to google this but its all results about python and command line stuff i'm not really sure i trust myself to do that without messing things up. i would also be concerned about breaking references to specific locations in the programs code, this is a little over my head i think.

They don't offer it from memory. Assuming you're using Windows you'll be best off creating a junction point to the new drive and "tricking" Versaworks to install there.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

What is the default install folder for Versaworks these days? I'll write out the extact instructions for you if you can let me know.
it looks like it installs to a few places there are files in C:\ProgramData\Roland DG VersaWorks\VersaWorks and just C:\Roland and maybe temp files elsewhere i'm not sure. i just copy my folders to the larger drive and create a link in the original location with the same name as the root folder?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Okay, what you can try is this:

Shutdown Versaworks and move "C:\ProgramData\Roland DG VersaWorks" (let's take the entire parent folder over) and "C:\Roland" to the root of the SSD drive. I will assume this is D:\ but feel free to modify the below commands to suit:

mklink /j "C:\ProgramData\Roland DG VersaWorks" "D:\Roland DG VersaWorks"
mklink /j C:\Roland D:\Roland

What this should so is implement a symbolic link which will redirect the directory on the left to the actual location on the right.
In Windows Explorer those new redirections will look like folder shortcuts, but Versaworks should behave the same as it previously did.
We used to be in the same boat a few years back when SSDs were super expensive so only had a 120GB C:\ drive so we were doing this all the time with non-speed-critical software and offloading it to a regular drive. Now that we have a 2TB SSD, it's no longer needed.

lolfailure

Okay, what you can try is this:

Shutdown Versaworks and move "C:\ProgramData\Roland DG VersaWorks" (let's take the entire parent folder over) and "C:\Roland" to the root of the SSD drive. I will assume this is D:\ but feel free to modify the below commands to suit:

mklink /j "C:\ProgramData\Roland DG VersaWorks" "D:\Roland DG VersaWorks"
mklink /j C:\Roland D:\Roland

What this should so is implement a symbolic link which will redirect the directory on the left to the actual location on the right.
In Windows Explorer those new redirections will look like folder shortcuts, but Versaworks should behave the same as it previously did.
We used to be in the same boat a few years back when SSDs were super expensive so only had a 120GB C:\ drive so we were doing this all the time with non-speed-critical software and offloading it to a regular drive. Now that we have a 2TB SSD, it's no longer needed.

i haven't gotten a chance to try this (it pretty rare that our printer stops long enough for me to transfer the folder over unless i stay after hours and i dont get paid enough for that ugh) but i appreciate you taking the time to help with this! i'll report back if i have any issues just for posterity

lolfailure

I forgot to update this thread but this doesn't work, the command prompt gives the error "Cannot create a file when that file already exists." I tried deleting the copied files to see if maybe the command would create the folders for me but same result.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Did you completely move the Roland DG Versaworks folder to another location (not just the contents)?
The commands above will not work unless the folder is completely gone from C:\Program Data\