• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Insurance Job?

showcase 66

I got a call from an insurance rep about a guys van that had some rock damage that broke the door glass and dented the side of the van. They are getting the body work taken care of but the van was wrapped about 6 months ago and they want to know if I would be interested in taking the job for matching the existing graphics from the other side. The other place is no longer around.

She wanted a price on the phone and couldnt understand why I couldn't give her a price on the spot without a bunch of questions.

This is what I am getting from her.

The van had a custom design and they dont have any artwork.
Can't get a picture of the van with the graphic on it.
They want me to match the exact colors so it doesnt look like two different wraps.
No idea what material was used on the first wrap or what type of printer.

I tried to explain that there would be no way to match exactly the colors or design without the original artwork. Even with the artwork, all printers are set up different and color vary a little from each other.

She didnt like where I was going but I told her the only way to have a seamless design from side to side like you want is to redo the whole van again, but I could give her a quote to re-design the artwork and then wrap it. She asked how much the design would be and I told her it all depend on how much time is put in on it.

I told her to email me everything she could on the vehicle, images(if she can), and anything else needed for this quote and I will quote the wrap and then the design will be an hourly rate with a minimum.

Has anyone else dealt with insurance companies when it comes to re-wrapping a vehicle.

If you have, how was the experience. When I used to do Windshields and tinting years ago, they would always tell us how much it would cost for the replacement. I know with body work it all depends on quotes so I am assuming it will be the same for the wrap.

AUTO-FX

I have some advice on this situation. I have first hand knowledge as an adjuster for Allstate.
Unless the customer has added the value of the wrap to his policy as a customization, it may not be covered.
Most policies provide for a limit to undeclared customization, usually under $1000
So although it is worthy of a large amount of money because of all the work involved, they may not be willing to pay, and will likely offer their customer a flat amount.
I would provide the adjuster with a fair ballpark figure, just north of where you want to be. The adjuster also is required to provide a markup, typically 25%, to the bodyshop - if the work you perform is done at their shop.

showcase 66

I have some advice on this situation. I have first hand knowledge as an adjuster for Allstate.
Unless the customer has added the value of the wrap to his policy as a customization, it may not be covered.
Most policies provide for a limit to undeclared customization, usually under $1000
So although it is worthy of a large amount of money because of all the work involved, they may not be willing to pay, and will likely offer their customer a flat amount.
I would provide the adjuster with a fair ballpark figure, just north of where you want to be. The adjuster also is required to provide a markup, typically 25%, to the bodyshop - if the work you perform is done at their shop.

Good to know. I am not sure if they will send anything anyway. It almost seemed like the more questions I asked the more she was reluctant to answer or share info with me.

If she sends anything, I will price it out and if I get it, I get it. If not, oh well.

AUTO-FX

Good to know. I am not sure if they will send anything anyway. It almost seemed like the more questions I asked the more she was reluctant to answer or share info with me.

If she sends anything, I will price it out and if I get it, I get it. If not, oh well.

Probably because she needed to close the estimate asap.
Also, if it's an Astro van, it's possible it could put the vehicle into a 'total loss' situation.