• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Insurance payout after fire

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I have a friend that experienced a fire recently that badly damaged his shop and destroyed some of his wide format equipment. For anyone that has been through this, the adjuster is asking for a estimate of repairing the two machines which turn on but both have smoke damage and produce bad test prints. Will a tech be able to give an estimate without being onsite to diagnose? What is the best course of action so he can get them to declare the printers a total loss? Thanks

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We didn't have a fire, but we had a drunk drive through our windows and into our laminator. They were going to send a tech out to either repair it or tell the adjuster that it can't be repaired. Since it was full of glass, they ended up replacing it anyway, and the tech never came.
So, I think yes - to answer your question. They should be able to diagnose with a phone conversation - I would think.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Take a few pictures of the device and prints then ask the tech to write a estimate with ALL parts that could ever be hurt, plenty of work hours with full compensation and so forth.

Just make sure the estimate is way more than a new printer.

The sales guys are always More than happy to help you get a big enough Bill so they have a chance to sell a new one.

CanuckSigns

We had a fire that actually destroyed our entire shop. The adjustors are pretty easy to deal with, they are really not looking to make life difficult, they just need something that they can show their boss that says the printer needs to be replaced.

Call a dealer, tell them what happened, tell them you would like a letter from them stating the parts and labour to bring the printer back to new condition is more than the cost of a new printer. Then buy a new printer from them with the money

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We had a fire that actually destroyed our entire shop. The adjustors are pretty easy to deal with, they are really not looking to make life difficult, they just need something that they can show their boss that says the printer needs to be replaced.

Call a dealer, tell them what happened, tell them you would like a letter from them stating the parts and labour to bring the printer back to new condition is more than the cost of a new printer. Then buy a new printer from them with the money

Who do you deal with? We just got our new policy from Wawanesa and it went up 40% from last year. I've got our broker working on it but definitely not an exciting expense to add to this year!

CanuckSigns

Who do you deal with? We just got our new policy from Wawanesa and it went up 40% from last year. I've got our broker working on it but definitely not an exciting expense to add to this year!

We were with State Farm at the time (now Desjardins) our agent is a client of ours so 8ve never really comparison shopped.
I will say, when we had our fire the adjustor was great, 2 days after the fire we had a cheque for $80,000 to get us up and running and cover deposits on machines etc.

Billct2

A friends shop had a fire in the unit next to it, no fire or water damage but the unit was filled with smoke. Like Canuck said, the techs all said anything that got touched by the smoke was damaged beyond repair. That included viny/laminatel rolls

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant

I was asking for a friend of mine that's dealing with this, but not on the site. I'm not sure who he's dealing with. Sorry

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We were with State Farm at the time (now Desjardins) our agent is a client of ours so 8ve never really comparison shopped.
I will say, when we had our fire the adjustor was great, 2 days after the fire we had a cheque for $80,000 to get us up and running and cover deposits on machines etc.

Wow that's fast. Glad they got you covered that quickly. Maybe I'll check out Desjardins and see how they compare.