• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interesting HP/Colorspan info

DoubleDown

I thought everyone might like to know what I just heard. And this is all pretty much heresay until validated, but HP is raising ink prices on all Colorspan products only. Reason being is that they don't want to fix Colorspan products anymore like the 9840's/FB910's etc because they are having huge issues with parts and service. The heresay is that they are raising their ink prices on these only to persuade people to buy different machines.

Again, just something I heard today but I believe anyone with Colorspan products on HP 910/950 products will find this ink pricing to be true.

River Wilde

Does this mean their Cyan inks will stop ruining the heads on my 72UVR? Cyan is also the only ink that i have overspray problems with.

kev324

Hmmm, interesting. I thought the 950 was the first non colorspan HP even though a lot is similiar. I'll have to keep an eye out for these increased prices.

River Wilde, I also had overspray issues with the cyan on our 98uvx. Made calibrating it tough at times. I could never figure out exactly whatthe problem was.

Hzone15

Fb 950

They raised the ink cost on all Legacy ColorSpan Products. The FB950 is not considered Legacy. One would think you would be ok for years to come.

cazcat13

ink

We have a 9840 and the vendors we went through for ink are no longer selling the ink for our printer. One vendor said that HP wanted them to sell their products exclusively and they told them no way so that takes them out of the equation. The second which is pittman (Agfa) said that HP will no longer let them sell their ink. If you are not an Independantly Exclusive HP dealer (Large Format) you can no longer sell their products. We have run into a huge problem now getting ink. The price has went up over $200 a box (3L). Definately looks like there trying to eliminate all of these older large format printers. We have also run into huge problems with replacement parts for our machine. We have a service contract through HP and have run into numerous instances where the parts we need have been on backorder for upwards to a month at a time. Very aggrevating!

SignManiac

I'm still buying all of my inks for our HP FB950 through Sign Supply/Proveer with no problems at all and have not been informed that it's unavailable???

Hzone15

My HP dealer told me that all dealers had to make a choice not to sell competitive flatbed printers. I believe that meant belt driven flatbeds and not true flatbed tables.

I believe the ink pricing only for ColorSpan legacy products went up to 650.00 from 595.00 not quite 200.00 dollars.

Part issues, yes a huge problem on Legacy products.

jwright350

Does this mean their Cyan inks will stop ruining the heads on my 72UVR? Cyan is also the only ink that i have overspray problems with.

+1 I hate the cyan overspray. Fixed by lowering the head a 1/2 turn. And wiping off all the heads. I treat my print heads like a red headed step child. I wipe on them pretty hard and it works excellent. Eventhough they tell you not to. I print LOTS on my colorspan.

HP is running out of parts for colorspan 72uv as well. I checked price on a data cable, encoder strip and power cable "licorice cable" They only had the encoder strip. IT was only $50.

Turns out the data cable to my head is bad, but if you jiggle is around it will start working again. HP says its just simple fatigue and the cable can be replaced with a standard Ethernet cable.

My solution is a new fuji acquity advance that should be here in 3-4 weeks! Bring on the white ink!

I'm just going to run my 72uvx into the ground I think.

hydo1

+1 I hate the cyan overspray. Fixed by lowering the head a 1/2 turn. And wiping off all the heads. I treat my print heads like a red headed step child. I wipe on them pretty hard and it works excellent. Eventhough they tell you not to. I print LOTS on my colorspan.

HP is running out of parts for colorspan 72uv as well. I checked price on a data cable, encoder strip and power cable "licorice cable" They only had the encoder strip. IT was only $50.

Turns out the data cable to my head is bad, but if you jiggle is around it will start working again. HP says its just simple fatigue and the cable can be replaced with a standard Ethernet cable.

My solution is a new fuji acquity advance that should be here in 3-4 weeks! Bring on the white ink!

I'm just going to run my 72uvx into the ground I think.

We are in the same boat as you. Running our 72UVX into the ground while we wait for a new printer. We are also getting a Fuji flatbed in the next several months so I would love to hear your impressions.

omgsideburns

My UVR just got a new Trolley Assembly from HP (ouch!).. the little plastic wheels started to come apart despite keeping the track spotless.

"Dr UV" replaced some of the guts in my UV power supply after it caught on fire.. I'm not usually one to plug but they really have great service.

Mspec

those UV power supplys need to be opened up and blown out at least once a year. When the vents get clogged with dust, it will only be a matter of time until you burn out one of the boards in there.