• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interior halo lit sign battery powered LEDs?

gnubler

I have a customer asking about running battery powered LED lights for backlighting on a metal office sign. Has anyone done this? I haven't found any good information online so I'm guessing these are primarily hardwired, correct?

signage

all LED's work off of DC all you need to do is understand it all and do the calculation to see if it is fesable for what your customer wants. All you new people want is us that know how to do thing is tell you what to do. You need to learn, this profession isn't as easy as most of you think.

gnubler

I told my customer I'm not licensed to install electric signs and referred him to a shop that does, and he came back with "What about battery powered LEDs?". I didn't have an educated answer so said I'd look into it, and now my answer is "No".

signage

Tex I don't and have never been on MEDs like you!

You are another one that constantly ask without researching yourself first, you are another one dragging this profession down!
I told my customer I'm not licensed to install electric signs and referred him to a shop that does, and he came back with "What about battery powered LEDs?". I didn't have an educated answer so said I'd look into it, and now my answer is "No".
If you are not licensed to do the work you should find an licensed contractor and work with them or don't even waste your time bidding on the job, why do you want to wast other professionals time answering your question? You should just move on to what you already know, if you want to expand into other things in this industry then research those on your own free time.

signage

Well, this explains a lot.
How does this explain it that you are incorrect because you aren't always taking your med's when you are supposed to?

Keep sticking with your gang on this site! Doesn't effect me I will be retiring soon and only doing what I want to while the rest of you just keep wasting you time that you can't ever get back!

Also learn welding to be able to build signs you aren't quantified to build, hope nothing goes wrong for you and lawyers doesn't come after you.

CanuckSigns

I had a guy ask about powering his sign freestanding sign cabinet off solar panels because the sign was 300' away from his building and didn't have power, told him while it is possible, the panels and batteries would cost many times more then running power to the sign.

gnubler

My customer is in a leased office and when he brought up the idea for a lit sign my first question was to ask about running power to that wall and that I don't do electric installs, so he asked about battery powered due to the scarcity of finding a local contractor to install it. They don't exist here at the moment. Electricians and trade workers are already booked for the entire year, they're all building houses and aren't interested in dealing with a measly office sign.

I live in a small town and driving around one night I noticed that easily 50% of the roadside/building signs have burned out bulbs or are completely unlit. Home Depot's roadside sign has been unlit for months, you'd think they would have a regional contractor for maintenance but evidently not. I've gotten called on a few of them and refer them to Yesco. Someone with a bucket truck licensed to work on electric signs and replacing bulbs/upgrading to LEDs would make a killing around here.

Tex, that thread a couple months back about replacing the discolored/grimy faces on the channel letters: still lookin' dim and grimy.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Some of that could be a reflection of how busy most shops are. When we are busy, we won't travel far for service work. And we start turning down the contract work like Home Depot would be.

If you really want to try and battery power a sign you could do some math to figure out if it's even feasible. You'd need to know the power demand and the amp hours of your battery.

We get asked about solar power too. So far no one is interested in having to keep the large panels and battery boxes next to the sign on top of the cost.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My customer is in a leased office and when he brought up the idea for a lit sign my first question was to ask about running power to that wall and that I don't do electric installs, so he asked about battery powered due to the scarcity of finding a local contractor to install it. They don't exist here at the moment. Electricians and trade workers are already booked for the entire year, they're all building houses and aren't interested in dealing with a measly office sign.

I live in a small town and driving around one night I noticed that easily 50% of the roadside/building signs have burned out bulbs or are completely unlit. Home Depot's roadside sign has been unlit for months, you'd think they would have a regional contractor for maintenance but evidently not. I've gotten called on a few of them and refer them to Yesco. Someone with a bucket truck licensed to work on electric signs and replacing bulbs/upgrading to LEDs would make a killing around here.

Tex, that thread a couple months back about replacing the discolored/grimy faces on the channel letters: still lookin' dim and grimy.

On my bids, I state that electrical need to be within 5 ft. of the sign connection. If there is no power there, it's up to the client to get an electrician to run a line there. You could install the sign a leave the electrical hanging in the back. Tell them to call an electrician to do the finial connection and dress it up. There is nothing wrong with that.

signage

If you think you would make a killing then why not go to a trade school and get educated and take the tests?

signage

On my bids, I state that electrical need to be within 5 ft. of the sign connection. If there is no power there, it's up to the client to get an electrician to run a line there. You could install the sign a leave the electrical hanging in the back. Tell them to call an electrician to do the finial connection and dress it up. There is nothing wrong with that.
If you call yourself a professional sign business don't you think you shouldn't be able to do the complete job or atleast have someone in the electrcial trade on your side (subcontracted)?

Scotchbrite

No comment
Electrical service from the panel has to be done by a state licensed electrician on a separate permit, at least around here. Most local governments will allow a sign contractor to connect a sign to an existing circuit with a general rule of it being within 5 to 10 feet. It wouldn't be practical to have a licensed electrician on staff, we're sign contractors not electricians.

I'm also not a general contractor so I don't have any desire to deal with subcontracting an electrician. We used to work closely with some electrical contractors but they've all sold out or retired. Generally most of our customers have an electrician they work with already so it's not an issue for them to take care of it. More broadly speaking, most of the times a new electrical service is only needed for new construction and there's already an electrician working on the project. 90% of the signs we're installing on existing buildings already have electrical service to the sign location.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you call yourself a professional sign business don't you think you shouldn't be able to do the complete job or atleast have someone in the electrcial trade on your side (subcontracted)?
I deal with sign companies all over the country and most do not run new lines to panels... that is electrician territory.

There is a local electrician I sub out to.. but a lot of times the customer has their own and it's less risk to have them handle it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No sign shop will run from the main out to the sign location. That's ludicrous. 50 years ago, maybe, but not in this day or current age of permits and codes. They might sub it out, but just about any end-user will use their own contractors or your suggestions and keep you outta the middle.

Being a professional means doing what you are supposed to do and not pose as another trades person. What meds are you on, anyway ?? If what you say is true, that you're not on any..... you oughta look into making a few visits and get yourself up-to-date inspected yourself there, mr gadget.

signage

I never said they did the trenching and installation! Maybe you need to remember to talk your MED's! But to work on electrical signs you need to be licensed in most area and almost all insurance companies require it. If your not and something goes wrong and you were the last to work on it, good luck the insurance they will not cover and you will be liable.

Gino you seem to think you are the sign god of this channel, all you want to do since you became a member is just all the highest nonsense ratings! I never said you don't have a pretty good knowledge but you are not the know it all that you think you are! Remember your first meet? Electical, doors locked?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean because of viewing behind the fence ?? I don't see how the light would have any effect on that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I never said they did the trenching and installation! Maybe you need to remember to talk your MED's! But to work on electrical signs you need to be licensed in most area and almost all insurance companies require it. If your not and something goes wrong and you were the last to work on it, good luck the insurance they will not cover and you will be liable.

Gino you seem to think you are the sign god of this channel, all you want to do since you became a member is just all the highest nonsense ratings! I never said you don't have a pretty good knowledge but you are not the know it all that you think you are! Remember your first meet? Electical, doors locked?
Go suck an egg ya moron. Your little tidbit of information is known by all, just the people trying to fly under the radar choose to ignore that sh!t.

As for the electrical, you're the guy who said he could help set up the CNC and let me tend more important things. You're the one..... for like two days was lost trying to hook that thing up and couldn't. You and the jester, highsky. As for the door locking, you try to do 26 different things at once, people p!ssing all over the property getting super loud at night and trying to keep peace with everyone and being 1/2 drunk. You can't do it on or off your meds, let alone with one or two beers. Just shut your piehole and give your kisser a break for a while.

Oh, I am not a sign god or anything remotely like it. I just answer a lotta questions and have lotsa input. Some good, some bad, some funny and then there are the nuisance comments for people like you.

Let's see, how many friends did I make today....... remember siggie..... you probably still think this place is a popularity contest. :roflmao: Oh yeah..... you always use this one..............:dog42:

signage

I never spent two days getting the power to it, you had no idea how to do it. If that was the case he would have never stayed and demoed it! you and your followers can just keep taking this form to lower levels. I will not have to keep working until you age, Mr. L