• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Involved Computer Question ? ? ?

chopper

wouldn't it be easier to have him/her install the OS on their computer than have them ship the computer to you?
I think it would be better to ship the software than the computer,
//chopper

joeshaul

More than likely the whole reason for this process is the individual doesn't know how to install the OS and is too afraid to try. In such case, shipping the computer is the only surefire way, however even then there are some complications that could come up, first of all the cost to ship everything back and forth goes up, then the possibility of damage may occur. Also it's not uncommon for a card, memory, etc to become partially unseated during shipment which will cause the computer to not boot after it gets back to the friend.

Me personally in this scenario would try to walk the individual through the install on the phone. I've had to do this multiple times before for my parents, their friends, companies, and etc, so I'm kind of used to it. Of course, I would tell them "this part will take about 30 minutes, call me back" when necessary, should happen after you specify the drive/partition to install to when it formats the drive (if it's a new big drive, it'll take ages!) and copies the files to finish the install, and then again after you do the initial setup crap telling it what accessories/applications to install.

Cadmn

agree with chopper plane ticket or road trip might be cheaper. but big chance it Won't boot

OldPaint

#1. just cause its a computer..............THEY ALL AINT THE SAME.
#2. loading a h/d, and firing up a computer...........sets the BOOT SECTOR on the hard drive....to that BIOS, VIDEO CARD, AND MOTHERBOARD settings........OF THAT COMPUTER!!!!!!!
#3. moving that same h/d to another computer............WITH A DIFFERENT BIOS, VIDEO CARD, M/B..........
9 outa 10.............IT WILL NOT BOOT TO OPERATING SYSTEM.
#4. IF.....his computer and your computer are IDENTICAL, SAME BOIS, VIDEO CARD, M/B..... yea it should work.

cdiesel

Just have him send the computer. What's it gonna cost? $30?

I'm actually typing right now on a laptop that I swapped the hard drive, but here's the catch.. It's out of a computer that is *exactly* the same as this one.