• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iPod Nano questions?

Jillbeans

Justis' 14th birthday is coming and he says he would like this.
I am an ancient fossil when it comes to something like this.
Is there anything I should know?
Do you have to subscribe to some sort of site to download music?
Sorry for being so out of the loop but I honestly have no idea, and I don't want to spend $140 on something useless.
I am sure Justis will know what to do with it!
:thankyou:
Love....Jill
PS
Sorry if there are other topics about this.

J Hill Designs

itunes is free download, need it to synch up the player, can rip owned copies of CD's to itunes (free of course, cause you own the music) and add mp3's you already have or download, or itunes has the store to buy songs @ 99cents each..

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
just got one for my birthday and i love it!! no need to subscribe to anything...the up front cost is the only thing...i already had itunes on my laptop, so it installed all the necessary software, and notifies me when there's updates available....

the only thing i would suggest you get with it is an add on charger...it only comes with a USB one that plugs into the pc...the one i've been eyeing up attaches to the end of the USB and has a wall jack....

also, not sure if you have a five below store out by you, but it will be your best friend for accessories...they have cases, covers, stereos, speakers...you name it... and all for five bucks or less....

Mosh

To buy song off itunes is generaly $1 per song. I hook mine up to my truck sterio, way better than lugging CD's or tapes around.

dlndesign

I have had my ipod for over 6 years, it was the second generation I bought it thinking I would have it forever, but the battery burnt out and now i use it as a backup hard drive for my mac, works great. My fiance has had hers for 4 years, its just now giving her battery issues. I am told the newer ones have a solid state hard drive which is better somehow and that they have better batteries.. and so on. The newest ones have a camcorder built in, which is cool. And as well as music you can download the "podcasts" which is a free service that is basically personal radio stations for anyone that wants to talk about anything. I'd look into it for yourself, lots of cool stuff out there. Also, the music is a buck, which is a good deal. Hope this helps.

saktrnch

Go ahead and get him the nano, but get yourself the iPod touch. Totally cool all kinds of things for free through iTunes. iTunes is your friend. You can load your own music, and as stated, buy songs for $0.99, or the whole album for $9.99. You can also buy and rent movies, free pod-casts (yay bow hunting radio). And I think on the touch you can get wifi which means you can get on the Internet. The only bad thing is I haven't found a signs 101 app yet. Hopefully that will be here soon!

GB2

Old Member
The Ipod selection you make depends on what your intended use is. That particular model you pointed out is a perfect choice for playing music, I just bought the same one for my daughter and she loves it. It has good battery life, has a camera, has a mini external speaker and is a good value for the price.

S

SignTech

I have that exact model ............. it's awesome get it. You can download songs from Walmart, rip from CD's or use iTunes which I stay away from ...

He'll figure it out ........... the video capabilities are ridiculously cool ...........

Jillbeans

I bought my new toy (the Graphtec) last week, so I wouldn't buy one of these for me.
I appreciate all the info (PMs too) and I did go ahead and order this.
Of course, when he came home from school, Jus said he's changed his mind and now wants an electric guitar. This after three months of telling me about an iPod.
Darn kids!

Doyle

It's okay, if he had a guitar he would still want an ipod just as bad, they go great together... I am a guitarist and use my ipod all the time at rehearsals and whatnot, I have the 5th gen 30gb model, but I am ready to upgrade to the bigger better ipods available now, 80gb or 160gb, I ran out of space on mine a long time ago...

maybe santa will bring him a guitar?

Jillbeans

Santa may bring him a guitar.
He has an ancient one that belonged to his brother, it's missing 2 strings, and belonged to a neighbor kid who is now in his mid-30s.
He already has an amp.
Luckily I am quite hard of hearing.