• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ips monitor calibration?

ironchef

Good day to all. I bought a ips monitor yesterday. Any ideas on how to calibrate it to get the best colors for printing? I'm going to be using a mimaki cjv 30.

Niceee. Looks pimp. You use that? Im going to be using rasterlink. It said onyx.

Virtually any colorimeter can calibrate a display, but you need a more sophisticated device (called a spectrophotometer) that is supported by of your RIP software, for the purpose of media profile creation on a RIP-based printer.

The XRite i1 Pro devices are the most widely-used for this purpose, and it can be used for accurate monitor calibration as well.

ironchef

Thanks guys. And no, we been a vinyl shop for the last 17 years. Finally crossing over. So i am new to all this. I'm not expecting all the answers on this either. Just some advise. I already knew about the spectrometer, as that is used to create profiles. I didn't know though that it works with the monitors as well. I was exploring win7 and found a section to calibrate the monitor. But i will wait for the tech. I just received the mimaki today thru fedex freight. I should have the cjv up and running by the 12th hopefully.

CS-SignSupply-TT

ironchef, when you dig deeper, i.e. the bottom right hand corner of the Colormunki splash page, you will see Colormunki is part of the x-rite family. At the start, use the profiles provided and determine if they are acceptable to your customers. Keep it simple. OH, one more thing. Once you are up and running, determine your top 3,4,5 media and print color charts on those media. Then, when a customer wants to color match, point them to the selected media color chart and let them select the RIGHT color in their eyes.

signswi

I actually really hate the "point to a swatch" method but it works for shops with walk-in/non-imaging professional clientele.

I actually really hate the "point to a swatch" method but it works for shops with walk-in/non-imaging professional clientele.

This approach also has limitations in situations where geography and distance prevent the ability to have the color 'chooser' physically come to your location, as is often the case when dealing with larger corporate entities that have Mar Com staff located across the country or globe.