• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Iron on vinyl for awnings

abadsvt

I have a customer that wants some fairly small lettering on the awning (11"x24"). The awning is pretty big so i don't want to take it down. They want it white lettering. Does anyone make low heat transfer material. I know thermoflex will work but you need 300deg or hotter. I think an iron only gets low 200's. Thanks and any help would be great!

Josh

royster13

Imprintables has one......But heat will not be the problem.....You also need pressure from a press.....So a hand iron will not cut it.....

Mike_Koval

thanks for the plug...we do in fact have one but, definitely agree about the pressure. I would not trust the durability if applied with an iron.

abadsvt

I had some material when i first took over this business that we ironed on to an awning. It has been 8months plus and they still look great. We used a piece of alupanel on the back for pressure. The problem is i have no idea what brand it was or anything about it. I might give that stuff a try mike and pray for the best. I'll pm you for details. Thanks

Josh

royster13

So how much is the awning worth if you wreck it?....And how much is the job worth?.....Is the reward versus the risk worth it?.....I never like to count on "luck" to do a job......

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have a customer that wants some fairly small lettering on the awning (11"x24"). The awning is pretty big so i don't want to take it down. They want it white lettering. Does anyone make low heat transfer material. I know thermoflex will work but you need 300deg or hotter. I think an iron only gets low 200's. Thanks and any help would be great!

The standard temperature for ironing cotton is in the neighborhood of 400 degrees F. Heat is not a problem with an iron. Pressure, consistent and constant pressure, is.

There used to be a low-melt material you could cut on your plotter and apply with a hand iron. It was called Thermobanner and made by Specialty Materials, but the last time I tried to order some it had been discontinued. I did a number of tents with it and it worked really well.

78w200

I did this about a year ago on a canvas type awning. The letters were 28" tall ended up being about 32' (yes feet) long. I used oracal 951 layed it all out on the awning and then applied each letter one at a time. After they were on I used a heat gun to heat them up and while they were hot I dabbed them with a rag to be sure they were stuck real good. After I was done you could not feel the edges of the vinyl. Like I said it has been about a year now so it has seen all types of weather and still looks good. I did warn them that it may not last because I had never done this type of install before but they still wanted it done. You can see a pic on my website if you like, it is the pic of th store front that says office supplies and printing. My site is 3alarmgraphics.com.