• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it just me??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm not an accountant either, so certainly not an expert. But when i set the biz up, my understanding that businesses that carry a lot of inventory (like distributors or retailers) benefit from accrual basis and light made-to order manufacturing where little inventory is kept benefit from cash basis. Wouldn't have any way of knowing my customer's accounting method, so just speculating. We have the opposite - getting a flurry of payments. Maybe the customers giving you problems are disorganized or financially stressed?
It's mainly the ones that farm out their AP.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My accountant always wants copies of any invoices or open balances from my vendors dated Dec 30th. They also get a copy of my Quickbooks around Jan 1st every year to update everything on their end.
As far as taxes go, I don't think we are in for a big hit as small businesses just because Biden and Harris were elected. I plan on speaking with my accountant about this and getting his "take" on it as well. I know he tended to complain that we were not getting enough tax revenue from the largest companies and individuals when it came down to it and that we were going to be on the hook for a tremendous amount of debt down the road. This was pre-covid as well Im talking about here. I can't say Im very savy tax wise and I typically leave to my accountant to make the best judgements for me in that respect. I can say I have not had any issues and besides being in NJ with our taxes here in the state, Im relatively happy with how my federal taxes have been for the past years in general. Not specifying the past 4 or 10...just his job of me paying as little as possible of course.

netsol

Here's something funny. My parents have owned some storage units for many years. They have a list of people who wanted to buy them. A couple months ago they decided to sell them. The first guy on the list is a friend and they are extremely liberal. My parents told them if Biden wins they need to have the deal sealed by the end of the year because Biden is raising the capital gains. If they have to pay the extra capital gains, they will just keep them instead. They can't seem to move quick enough and the bank won't work with them to get it done. They got a little taste of what they voted for and now missed out on a great opportunity for permanent monthly income. I think it's funny...they don't. They still have a few days but it doesn't look like they can make it happen.

stacey

it is "funny" but not for your parents

i take it they voted for biden, the democrat base is easily deceived

40 years ago, george will wrote a column. the title was "being a liberal means always being surprised" or something to that effect. we never seem to tire of voting against our best interests.

Notarealsignguy

My accountant always wants copies of any invoices or open balances from my vendors dated Dec 30th. They also get a copy of my Quickbooks around Jan 1st every year to update everything on their end.
As far as taxes go, I don't think we are in for a big hit as small businesses just because Biden and Harris were elected. I plan on speaking with my accountant about this and getting his "take" on it as well. I know he tended to complain that we were not getting enough tax revenue from the largest companies and individuals when it came down to it and that we were going to be on the hook for a tremendous amount of debt down the road. This was pre-covid as well Im talking about here. I can't say Im very savy tax wise and I typically leave to my accountant to make the best judgements for me in that respect. I can say I have not had any issues and besides being in NJ with our taxes here in the state, Im relatively happy with how my federal taxes have been for the past years in general. Not specifying the past 4 or 10...just his job of me paying as little as possible of course.
Agreed. The poor and big guns have put a lot of time and money into getting their taxes cut while the small business guys and middle/upper middle working class carry the load. Maybe we should be more whiny or hire some lobbyists?

Notarealsignguy

stacey

40 years ago, george will wrote a column. the title was "being a liberal means always being surprised" or something to that effect. we never seem to tire of voting against our best interests.
Even if taxes are raised, it won't matter for 2021 so they have plenty of time.
Capital gains has always been a political wedge too, just like guns and abortion. I remember back when I was a kid them talking about it. Politicians have and make a lot of money, they won't hurt their own wallet even though they put on the dog and pony show

Stacey K

I like making signs
stacey

My parents voted for Trump, not Biden. The buyers voted for Biden. I was surprised my parents were going to sell it, I think it turned into a hassle this summer because they had quite a few trees down and my Dad gets sick of cutting the grass. They could hire it out but, they have the attitude if you can do it yourself, why pay someone LOL

Reveal1

My parents voted for Trump, not Biden. The buyers voted for Biden. I was surprised my parents were going to sell it, I think it turned into a hassle this summer because they had quite a few trees down and my Dad gets sick of cutting the grass. They could hire it out but, they have the attitude if you can do it yourself, why pay someone LOL
Self reliance; there's a quality to admire.

John Miller

Here's how I keep my AR as low as possible.

1) I tell people when I quote a job that I don't bill for any job less than $1000. We letter vehicles for a very large construction company. They don't squabble over prices but would typically take 60-90 days to pay. When I told my contact our terms had changed to no billing below $1000, he never missed a beat, and gave me their corporate credit card.

2) Standard terms are 50% deposit with balance at installation. Remember, these are custom things we're making. Try to find a company who will make you something custom and bill you for it. I very nicely tell my clients that our pricing is based on them funding their project, not us.

Occasionally we will accept a project that we can't get a deposit for or get payed the balance at completion but not often. When we do find ourselves in that position, we include extra in the job for providing funding.

I once told a client that I'd made a pact with the bank "I wouldn't give out loans if they wouldn't make signs" he got a good laugh and we got the deposit.