• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it just me?

WildWestDesigns

If you get a call back it's your lucky day and you should buy a lottery ticket.
I just started to think of Money Pit after reading that. "We drew your name today, so here we are working". Or something to that effect. I haven't watched that in yrs though and I have slept many times since then.
Won't get any better until people have to get back to work.
That's if they want to go back to working for someone else. A lot of illusions of working for someone being stable, less of a risk were shattered over last year. Not to mention feelings of loyalty or lack thereof from their bosses despite all the yrs of the employee being loyal (assuming a good employee, not thinking of the yahoos that think that they are good, but really a blight).

If other things are added into the mix, that may also make things tougher for businesses and those that do want to work will more then likely do their own thing (I would hope anyway).

Johnny Best

You need to get a guy with a four wheel drive truck with a rebel flag sticker on the roof and a gun rack in the back window blaring country music and pay those roofers a visit. You must have a metal corrugated roof and need rubber washer with those screws. Pillow talk phone calls are not going to “giterdone” boy!

gnubler

I'm not shy about locking my door and keeping the lights off so I can keep production moving.
I stopped putting my sign out front and turning my open sign on about two weeks ago. It's still not keeping them away.

You need to get a guy with a four wheel drive truck with a rebel flag sticker on the roof and a gun rack in the back window blaring country music and pay those roofers a visit.
I'm that guy and I work for peanuts. Send me their address.

gnubler

Around the Inland Northwest the #1 obsession is houses: fighting over buying and selling them at unsustainably inflated prices, building them with unsustainably inflated material and labor costs, and permanently scraping the prairie and woodlands. The sheer greed and mega-hyperinflation I'm seeing, and the "progress" of development and the shift in local population, is already beyond disturbing. Like someone else mentioned, they are having crackheads and retards do jobs here because the labor pool dried up, and all the trades are booked months and years out. It's like people have completely lost sight of living life and are literally throwing money into thin air, so I'm grabbing it while I can until this ride comes to an end.

gnubler

Wait, does this have something to do with squirrels? I'm busted.

I invented a new word after that last post: BIPOCULAR. It's a bipolar BIPOC, I'm sure they exist. Think it'll take off?

neoguri

I encourage people I talk with on the phone to send me a follow up email, I respond within 48 hours, if I don't, the job probably isn't worth doing. It is quite busy for us, and it's hard to worry about a single yard sign order...

neoguri

I dont disagree with you. But there are times that you forget, and there are times you know the person is just wasting your time.

I often outsource prints to a local high quality print shop and just charge a few bucks more than my vendor charge me for my time to pick up the print to please customers if I don't have the time to make small prints. But again this depends on the customer. If they do their part reaching out to me, I will do my part in delivering.

WildWestDesigns

I dont disagree with you. But there are times that you forget, and there are times you know the person is just wasting your time.
I'm a shop of one person. Just one that does everything. There are 2 reasons why I wouldn't return a communication within 24 hrs (even on Sunday or when I'm on "vacation"):
1. I am sick (which thankfully doesn't happen that very often and when it does, I have my wife let them know that I am sick and respond when I am better, just so they know something)
and
2. I didn't get their email, in which case those that have dealt with me for a good while know to send an email the next day to follow up. I tend to get those even if I didn't get the first attempt.

The only time that I won't respond if if it looks like spam

Even if I think that what they are wanting is on the "wasting my time" aspect of things, I will respond. The responses for this instance may be different then an otherwise normal situation, but they will get a response.

Now, there are some things that I will do, that I don't expect others to uphold when communicating with me (like emailing on the weekend (unless they have weekend hours) or on vacation), but I do have a bare minimum that I do expect (and it is surprisingly bare minimum, it's more of when it is communicated to me then anything).

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Anymore, I don't expect anyone to respond to my initial inquiries but when they do, it's a plus. I am cool with that. I don't need someone to answer the phone just to tell me they can fix my water heater but it's gonna be 6 months before they get there.
Once that I place an order, knowing full well their lead times (I ask up front), I expect an open line of communication and somewhat of a punctual response to an inquiry after they miss their estimated delivery date. What I am seeing more and more of are people taking your order, blowing their own lead times out of the water and then ignoring your followups.

WildWestDesigns

Anymore, I don't expect anyone to respond to my initial inquiries but when they do, it's a plus. I am cool with that.
Well, if your going to drop your standards for the above, may as well drop your standards for the other.

If enough people are doing it and they don't get massive clap back, what do you expect to happen? It'll be the new normal before you know it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Well, if your going to drop your standards for the above, may as well drop your standards for the other.

If enough people are doing it and they don't get massive clap back, what do you expect to happen? It'll be the new normal before you know it
I say that because I don't like my time wasted and would rather they just ignore me so I can quickly move on to the next person. I don't want to spend time going over a project with someone, meeting them, doing the whole back and forth email thing just to get a take it or leave it home run price or hear that they are all booked up for 6 months.

gnubler

If enough people are doing it and they don't get massive clap back, what do you expect to happen? It'll be the new normal before you know it.
This also applies to the new practice of getting calls and texts after hours. So far I've just been ignoring them, but it's gotta stop. I got one in at nearly 9pm last night. Zero attention spans, zero manners anymore.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I hadn't had this problem until today. I emailed a vendor to see how my order for LED signs was coming along yesterday afternoon and have yet to hear back. I am a little surprised because he had a shot to have around $100,000 or more of business from me in the new 9 months to year by way of 3 orders.