• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it safe to put vinyl over the rear defrost lines on car?

shuv76

Hello I just wanted to know if it is ok to place vinyl over those rear defrost lines in automobiles? Will it hurt the vinyl? Thanks for any advice.
Paul

lil Details

I don't see that it would hurt it. A car defroster can get warm, but not any hotter than the glass will get in sunlight. I am sure it would be a nightmare to remove if or when you want to remove it. With window tinting we have techniques to remove it from a defroster window, but not sure it would work well on the vinyl...

Why put it on the inside?

stickermonkey

I saw a rear window decal on a customers vehicle actually split or crack where every heat element was. This decal was done at another shop, and had been on for a year or so. When we did the new decal, we used a premium vinyl and it didn't seem to do the same thing. In fact, it was on the car for at least 3 years and still looked as good as the day we put it on. She sold the car..so I don't know how it performed after the 3 years...but from experience...I'm sure it would have lasted another 2 or more without problems.

OldPaint

depends on the USE OF THE REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER!!!! here in florida...........wedontworryboutit!!!!

I've never had a problem with them. I actually tell customers to turn it on while they are on the way over (during the cold months). Helps warm the window for application.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Have had one I cut from Oracal 651 back up in Tennessee that is just fine after 3 years...

Don't use the defroster too awful much any more :smile:

BobM

Been doing it forever, never gave it a thought as the wires are inside and the vinyl is outside.

grafxxx

never had a problem here and live in MA. the only problem i have had is people scraping them off with there ice scrapers

Jillbeans

Me neither, the ice scrapers (or rather the people wielding them) are what is more dangerous.
Love....Jill