• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it the Reflective or the Lam?

Oralite 5600 and 3M 8518, I couldn't get the matching Oralite Lam in the same width.

It's in the same spot all the way down.

Attachments

• 20230206_150726.jpg
    20230206_150726.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 282

tim99

looks like the lam to me as well. we use the 290 paired with 5650 and still get that occasionally

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It looks like a version of a term they call silvering.

Why is my lamination cloudy?

Cloudy lamination is usually the result of insufficient heat. If the machine has a control to adjust the heat, try increasing the temperature. You can also reduce the speed of the laminator, this will create longer dwell time on the heat shoes or rollers increasing the heat being transferred to the film.

It looks like a version of a term they call silvering.

Why is my lamination cloudy?

Cloudy lamination is usually the result of insufficient heat. If the machine has a control to adjust the heat, try increasing the temperature. You can also reduce the speed of the laminator, this will create longer dwell time on the heat shoes or rollers increasing the heat being transferred to the film.
now I have a reason to upgrade... thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I don't have any heat whatsoever in my laminator. We just go slow enough and I don't think more than once or twice in the last about 20 years, ever getting any silvering.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
Thats just surface rub from the manufacturing process. Usually a little bit of propane torching of those areas, Once the Film is Applied to a Surface, does the trick. The heat and flame is basically just mimicking the sun however..... Once outdoors it typically disappears in most climates after a few weeks of sunlight.

JBurton

Signtologist
I've seen this a number of times, it seems that just the act of pulling the backing and applying it shuffles the cloudiness out. I hate 8518!

mim

0_o
We use 8518 with a cold lam. Make sure there's nothing stuck in there that would make the pressure slightly off in that one area. I had that happen once and I fixed it by just messing around with the pressure bar, no idea what *exactly* I did, but hopefully that helps lol