• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is optically clear overlam as long lasting as regular 2ml overlam?

gabagoo

I ask as I bought a Avery bundle and this is the lam it came with. I always thought optically clear was much more expensive than regular 2ml overlam. Can I use it on regular decals for vehicles?

unclebun

Avery DOL1360Z is more expensive than their non-optically clear laminate. But it lasts just as long. We use it for wraps and decals and window perf.

DesireeM

I ask as I bought a Avery bundle and this is the lam it came with. I always thought optically clear was much more expensive than regular 2ml overlam. Can I use it on regular decals for vehicles?

Avery used to have two separate products for their vehicle wrap bundle lam and optically clear lam but I think they combined the products because they were essentially the same. The optically clear lam that comes in the bundle is made specifically for vehicle wraps (so it's conformable, uv, long-term etc..) but has the dual purpose of also being optically clear for your perf or whatever else.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Avery DOL1360Z is more expensive than their non-optically clear laminate. But it lasts just as long. We use it for wraps and decals and window perf.
Actually, 1300Z is their cheapest cast laminate. 1000Z is the step up that is comparable to everyone else film, and 6460 is their top of line non-PVC laminate (only in gloss for now).

We have used 1300Z series in the past but in AZ its not making it much longer than 2 years for the majority of our clients so we switched to 1000Z series. We are actually going to switch to the 6460 and readjust our prices to our clients as we want to only offer the best product we can.

DesireeM

Actually, 1300Z is their cheapest cast laminate. 1000Z is the step up that is comparable to everyone else film, and 6460 is their top of line non-PVC laminate (only in gloss for now).

We have used 1300Z series in the past but in AZ its not making it much longer than 2 years for the majority of our clients so we switched to 1000Z series. We are actually going to switch to the 6460 and readjust our prices to our clients as we want to only offer the best product we can.

I wouldn't say the 1060 is the "step up" exactly...it does have one year more durability according to specs but it's the least conformable option so it's a "step down" in that regard. The 1360 is slightly less expensive and is thinner and a lot more conformable so they suggest it for wrapping deeper recesses and more complex curves. It makes installation way easier.
Avery has a 1400 series overlam as well which they claim is their most conformable for the hardest curves and recessed and has the same life as the 1360. Not sure what the price is like on that though.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I wouldn't say the 1060 is the "step up" exactly...it does have one year more durability according to specs but it's the least conformable option so it's a "step down" in that regard. The 1360 is slightly less expensive and is thinner and a lot more conformable so they suggest it for wrapping deeper recesses and more complex curves. It makes installation way easier.
Avery has a 1400 series overlam as well which they claim is their most conformable for the hardest curves and recessed and has the same life as the 1360. Not sure what the price is like on that though.
Our installers have no issues conforming 1000Z series at all, it conforms exactly like 3M 8518 and no different than 1300Z series. 1400Z series is for extreme channels but has lower durability than 1300 or 1000 series.

DesireeM

Our installers have no issues conforming 1000Z series at all, it conforms exactly like 3M 8518 and no different than 1300Z series. 1400Z series is for extreme channels but has lower durability than 1300 or 1000 series.

1300 and 1400 series lams on Avery Dennisons website says they both have 4 year vertical durability so I'm just going by that. And your installers may have no issues using the 1000 series - it is spec'd for conforming and vehicle wraps so it makes sense...but Avery claims the 1300 and 1400 are meant for even more conformability and our installers find that to be true....to each their own.

I'm not disagreeing with you..I'm just stating the manufacturer supplied specs and recommendations for those products along with our experience using the 1060 and 1360 over the years.

Christian @ 2CT Media

1300 and 1400 series lams on Avery Dennisons website says they both have 4 year vertical durability so I'm just going by that. And your installers may have no issues using the 1000 series - it is spec'd for conforming and vehicle wraps so it makes sense...but Avery claims the 1300 and 1400 are meant for even more conformability and our installers find that to be true....to each their own.

I'm not disagreeing with you..I'm just stating the manufacturer supplied specs and recommendations for those products along with our experience using the 1060 and 1360 over the years.

You guys are lucky to have the environment that you guys have, the 1.3mil lams just don't last as well as we would like in our harsh UV environment.