• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is there a decent gold leaf paint available????

max

hello all....
i used to do a fair amount of gold leaf gilding on boats and signs. but it seems as though nobody wants to spend the money for real gold guilding anymore. i have a customer now that wants as close to a real gold look as possible without the cost of guilding.
haas anyone found a good exterior gold leaf paint that gives decent results.
thanks sooo much for any guidance

max

thanks j hill, but unfortunately it is for a sandblasted sign so gonna have to use paint

fresh

I use either One Shot Metallic gold or Ronan Aqualeaf. They don't compare to real gold leaf though.

d fleming

small award plaque, sandblasted granite tile with.... testors met gold model paint! If I had a large amount to do I would go another route but I was pleasantly surprised with the result. More importantly so was the customer.

Attachments

• pauls award.jpg
    pauls award.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 133

J Hill Designs

small award plaque, sandblasted granite tile with.... testors met gold model paint! If I had a large amount to do I would go another route but I was pleasantly surprised with the result. More importantly so was the customer.

I've used vinyl on S/B signs a few times - no different then vinyl on a painted wooden board

max

yes using vinyl would be great but also have to make the entire border gold so i cant use vinyl there.
its an exterior sign so has to be somehing that will hold up to mother nature so model paint isnt an option either..
thanks for the input though

J Hill Designs

matthews metallic gold satin looks beautiful, but its a 2-part paint.

and as with all metallic paints, it just looks like metallic paint.

SignManiac

Matthews Brilliant Gold metallic. Forgot to mention, it needs to be clear coated with their UV satin or gloss.

Attachments

• Main Street.jpg
    Main Street.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Tara2.jpg
    Tara2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 128
  • woodland-10.jpg
    woodland-10.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 109

max

thanks alot guys.... i think the Matthews brilliant gold is close enough to satisfy anyone who doesnt want to spend the money on real gold... thanks again for everyones advice

OldPaint

i bought a small can of SEARS GOLD PAINT........needs a clear after it dries.....but had more metalic look then ronan or 1 shot gold.

nodrenim

Gold leaf paint

Several years ago, I used Matthews 2 part gold leaf paint, clear coated. Lasted several years, the customer loved it. I would use it again in a heart beat.

TimToad

Another vote for Ronan Aqualeaf, but I've recently had awesome results out of the most unexpected place. Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover Metallic Gold from Home Depot. For like $14.00 a quart, it worked far better than I ever expected it would.

I used to manage the graphics dept. at a trade show/exhibit house and we had the entire Matthews paint system, so it was easy to get spoiled on that product.