• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a no overlaminate option to help protect digital prints from flatbed?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It means spray lamination is a problem. It rarely works well.
Sorry the previous post was so cryptic to you.
How long have you been in this business?

I guess not long enough to be as smart as you..... cryptic or not. May I ask..... where do you buy desperate headaches ?? I'd like to order some to go along with my business sense.... or lack thereof. :smile:

10sacer

Unless you have a REALLY clean room - spray lamin
ation will suck every dust particle out of the air and make it stick to your print - especially if you are doing larger prints.

It means spray lamination is a problem. It rarely works well.
Sorry the previous post was so cryptic to you.
How long have you been in this business?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Unless you have a REALLY clean room - spray lamin
ation will suck every dust particle out of the air and make it stick to your print - especially if you are doing larger prints.

Yeah I tried spray lam ONCE on some window perf prints, to see how well they would do. They were terrible....dust stuck all over them, some holes filled in, some didn't. Not worth the headache without the proper machine.

rdm01

Is there an issue with just mounting some normal lam on top of a flatbed print?

We often have requests for dry erase foam boards. Flatbed them, stick them through the laminator on 3/16" with dry erase lam loaded, trim it out, collect money.

We've done the same with matte and gloss when clients insist on items being laminated - which is fairly rare but does come up.

MISPRINT

Im just curious how someone spends 70k+ on a flatbed and doesn't know the answer to this question

Oldish post, but I will answer this... Because places that sell the printer want to sell the lamination machine - even though there are many reviews that say don't do it (buy it). These salesmen also to you about nearly everything so it's difficult to figure out the truth. Not to mention - the $100K machine prints WAY too much Magenta - then M1mak1 says there is no issue (with a straight face) lol. So you buy Spray laminate and it works OK, but not the greatest. Honestly, I don't have much time to research online for things - I work 80 hours a week just pushing work out the door. We limp things along and avoid certain uses of the machine as it causes issues for the customers (such as direct printing full color signs, because of scratching). And as previously mentioned - unless you know the specific keywords to search with - you spend a boat load of time flailing about on Google and the search bar here looking for info.

What I have taken away from this thread: Frog Juice sucks (for our shop). Try roll on laminate. Don't buy a lam machine. Lastly - there is such a thing as roll UV laminate. Gotta research that now...because I like that better than the other options.

About the normal Lam on a flatbed print - it looks terrible. We have used 290, 290G (optically clear, can't remember the number), 210, and 200 - all look horrendous.

So thank you to everyone who posted - this thread was useful, at least to me :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like I've always said..... I like happy endings. We might've lost a sorehead, but we made another member very happy and grateful.

paul luszcz

As someone once said, "that escalated quickly".

I'm a little afraid to add my two cents, but I read this thread carefully hoping for a clear answer, which I almost, but not quite, got.

We buy our wide format prints from a few different wholesale suppliers. And one of our weak spots is direct prints on aluminum composite panels. Whether it's for 24" x 18" lawn signs, job site signs or exterior signs of any kind, they look great (if they arrive without scratches) but often don't even last until we get them out the door. And this is from any one of five different printers.

The prints are too easily scratched.

We have a film laminator (from when we used to print our own wide format) and would rather apply a film laminate than watch these prints get ruined.

Is there a particular film or type of film recommended for this application?

MISPRINT

Someone above mentioned Mactac and ALC - I have no experience with either. We use Frog Juice on various signs and have had ehh results. We print Fire Lane signage - after frog juice the ink can still be removed. I can lay clear coat on a car that is clean as glass - but cannot figure out how to make Frog Juice work better. That said - could be any number of reasons. Wouldn't surprise me if the printers UV system isn't setup properly. I plan on trying Clear Shield - also mentioned here.

timgo

Graphics Designer
We purchased a flatbed a few months ago and love it! But I was wondering if there is a good option for giving some extra protection to Diabond prints without overlaminating. Is there a spray or something?

Hi,

Transparent spray paint he is available in different quality and prices. Quick-drying, slow-drying and water based.
Note!!!!! For indoor and outdoor or just for inside.
Please note not on price.