• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there a term for scaling an object proportionally to cover an old one but can't because of its unique shape?

JetPress

A customer wants to us to print a replacement decal since the one on his sign faded but he doesn't want us to remove the previous decal. We are going to make it slightly larger to cover up the old decal but some areas still stick out. We are trying to figure out if there is a term for what this is called to explain to the customer.. Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Pink is previous decal and the blue is the new and slightly larger one that we are trying to line up.

What is this called.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you're using Illustrator, you want to use the, "Offset Path" function. Instead of scaling it actually moves the path outward however far you want it to go. I assume Corel and other design software have something similar.

JetPress

Thanks, you two! As for the offset path I think the logo has too many things going on with it because it looks scary now :p
It does give me an obvious idea that we should just a make larger outline instead of scaling the design.

dr not feel good.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks, you two! As for the offset path I think the logo has too many things going on with it because it looks scary now :p
It does give me an obvious idea that we should just a make larger outline instead of scaling the design.

View attachment 161728
Haha yeah usually I will copy and paste in front, offset path, merge all the elements, and then send to back. Then you can make it whatever color you want to match the image.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You take the image into PS, take the background completely away and color it black. Make it into a vector, overlay it over the original picture and add your offset accordingly. Then, superimpose your new picture to the size needed. It's about a 1 to 1.5 minute process. Probably even less with such a simple graphic.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Or, (in Illustrator for Windows) make the whole graphic into a group (CTRL-G).

Click the grouped image. CTRL-C to copy it. CTRL-3 to hide it. Then CTRL-SHIFT-V to paste back into place.

Click the image again. Go to PATHFINDER from the WINDOW menu to open the Pathfinder panel.

With the image still selected, click (in Pathfinder) the MERGE icon, then click the UNITE icon a few times (for good measure).

Now your logo image should be one solid shape. Use the menu item OBJECT / PATH / PATH OFFSET function here to offset the path as needed.

Hit CTRL-ALT-3 to Unhide the original image. It's probably behind your newly-offset path, so click that and send it to the back.

Scale the original image as needed. Done.

Sounds like a lot, but it'll probably take 5-15 seconds.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I still want to know why the old decal can't be removed. Why are we spending so much thought about the band-aid? That's going to look stupid over the old one. Covered up or not. Texture... It's still there.

jochwat

Graphics Department
I still want to know why the old decal can't be removed. Why are we spending so much thought about the band-aid? That's going to look stupid over the old one. Covered up or not. Texture... It's still there.
Very true, great point. At the very least, the discussion allowed at least one person to learn about Offset Paths, Boolean path editing (Pathfinder), and other stuff essential to setting up decal cut shapes. The Board works in mysterious ways.

JetPress

Customer doesn't want to pay extra for us to remove the old decal nor does he want us to apply the new one. We wanted to make it as easy as possible for the customer if he decides to cover up the other one.

JetPress

Very true, great point. At the very least, the discussion allowed at least one person to learn about Offset Paths, Boolean path editing (Pathfinder), and other stuff essential to setting up decal cut shapes. The Board works in mysterious ways.
I learned something new because I always used Flexi's outline tool and didn't know what offset path did the same thing in Illustrator. There really wasn't an issue about the decal placement but here at the shop we were wondering if there was a term for the situation we were in.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Customer doesn't want to pay extra for us to remove the old decal nor does he want us to apply the new one. We wanted to make it as easy as possible for the customer if he decides to cover up the other one.
I would explain to them how if they don't remove the old one, the new one won't last very long. Maybe offer them a discount to do it, if you think it's worth it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I learned something new because I always used Flexi's outline tool and didn't know what offset path did the same thing in Illustrator. There really wasn't an issue about the decal placement but here at the shop we were wondering if there was a term for the situation we were in.
I should think the term you're looking for is "Duh".