• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there an equivalent ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine used some Avery 9001 for lettering a fabric type awning [Sunbrella].

It's no news to anyone that myself, and many others, are not fans of A V E R Y products. Is there another manufacturer of this same type high tack vinyl for awning use available ??

Also, does anyone have any experience with this Avery product ?? I have quite a few awnings coming up and I had intended to hand paint them as always, but this media could be quite the time saver, thus being a better cost effectiveness-wise than painting.
:thankyou: Gino

Steve G.

Gino,
We use 3m 7125, if we use vinyl. If not we paint it with screening ink.
We've done at least 15-20 over the last few years in vinyl, with no issues.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Steve, I'm confused. Sunbrella is a fabric type awning and I've never found a vinyl to stick to it successfully, yet. That's why we always hand paint them as I mentioned, but this friend of my mine said the Avery 9001 is fantastic stuff and I was wondering if anyone else makes this type of media so I don't have to buy A V E R Y.

GB2

Old Member
Gerber or 3M makes a product called Permagrip High Bond, "Durable 6-7 year 3 mil cast vinyl with an extremely aggressive pigmented adhesive. Designed for low energy substrates or moderately rough surfaces." Maybe that would work for you.

Last edited:

John Butto

nothing yet..

Never had any luck with anything sticking to sunbrella. It has a texture of thick hairy cloth which vinyl does not attached to very well unless it is done with 3m which makes a product that must be applied with a heat press. So if the awning is attached to the frame handpainting is the way I have always gone to. Have tried the method someone had suggested on here some time back of taking calendered vinyl and cutting out the letters and spraying the back of the vinyl with adhesive and putting that down with pressure on the sunbrella and then spraying clear and then your color with a roller or spray can. Works well for small letters in the 1" size.

gabagoo

I would think that any fabric would be trouble for vinyl die to its pourous properties. I cant even find Avery 9000 in my Avery colour charts, unless it is a digital media.

Mike_Koval

if heat transfer is an option, there are a couple that will work...as sideburns has said eco-film + if it is nylon or straight eco-film if polyester...

If there are heat restrictions, we have product made especially for this type of application. Applies at 210F...Solar 210