• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this possible? LED back lit pvc letters?

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have a customer that is looking for some custom letters, and the orginal specs were back lit with brushed alum faces.

I had a letter made of brushed alum with pvc backer that I did as a sample for an interior letter job.

The customer came back and loved the look, but now they asked if it was possible to make some letters simular backlit.

Here is what I was thinking of doing:

White 1 3/16" pvc, routed out to shape, with areas for leds hogged out. I was going to place thin (1/16") clear acrylic to help seal the leds. The face side will be the brushed alum letters, and mounted to that will be another layer of custom painted (they have a "special" blue that they want to use") pvc.

So looking at it, it would appear that the "custom" painted blue letters would have a brushed alum outline, and the white pvc would be hidden behind the alum copy, just a housing to hold the mounting studs and leds.

Crazy idea? thought I'd ask the experts.

Marlene

the brushed aluminum is laminated to the white PVC and then on top of that the blue letters. the LED's will be mounted to the backside of the PVC to halo light them? sounds good so far. are these exterior or interior letters?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Question, are you putting this on some backer/raceway, or direct to the wall?

1/4" seems a little thin, I would use translucent white acrylic instead of white pvc, the edge would light up, and might decrease hot-spotting.

Kottwitz-Graphics

It is an exterior sign.

Rick, 1/4" clear is more to protect the led's, which are backlit.

The sign will stand off the wall, some where around 3", using studs in the 1 3/16" materail, and spacers.