• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this REALLY how a sign cabinet should be built?!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I usually wholesale my cabinets to a company in Alabama and have been pleased with them. Earlier this year I installed a sign for another sign company who bought from a local manufacturer. I was impressed with the build quality and asked them to build a lighted cabinet for me. Well, I picked up the cabinet yesterday and I've never seen anything like this. The entire cabinet is so flimsy it feels like it's about to fall apart. It flexes so much under it's own weight that I feel like it's going to break.

The backer is 3mm ACM. The side walls are bent 063 I guess? They are riveted to the ACM. There are three vertical aluminum angles that feel sturdy but serve no purpose because nothing is attached to them. There are bent 063 or 040 aluminum brackets with ONE rivet each holding the side walls up. (I put the screw in it) The "retainer" is something thinner than 040. The inside angles that go all around the sign that hold the face in place are .75". You can't put a face in there without it popping out. It flexes so much that it's just a feather touch away from all falling apart.

Has anyone see something like this before? Am I trippin over this thing? I don't feel comfortable at all putting it on the wall with my sign in it. My sign face is probably twice the weight of this entire "cabinet"

20200805_183343.jpg
20200805_183357.jpg
20200805_183411.jpg

Last edited:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You're not tripping. I certainly wouldn't pay for that. Did they not give build specs prior to purchase?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You're not tripping. I certainly wouldn't pay for that. Did they not give build specs prior to purchase?

Nothing, but I've never had a wholesaler give me specs before. I usually just give a size, describe how it will be mounted and that's it.

Johnny Best

Origami with thin metal.
Did you already pay for it, did you complain to them when you picked it up. Is this the way the other one you saw built?

signage

why did it take you a day to figure this out? you picked it up and couldn't tell at that time, what they loaded it while you paid for it without checking it out.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
At least they supplied it with screws that have enough extra threads for them to take a good long while to pull completely out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is there a UL label on it ??

That looks like what we used to call a wrap box, except they forgot all the framework.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
At least they supplied it with screws that have enough extra threads for them to take a good long while to pull completely out.

Lol, I put that in there... it didn't help at all.

The UL label is on the power box which is separate. I thought it was supposed to be on the cabinet.

No I did not see it when it was loaded on my trailer yesterday. I looked at it briefly last night and didn't like what I saw. I was out on installs all day today and didn't get back till an hour ago.

I e-mailed the owner and he just called me and told me he was sorry and will take care of it. He said he doesn't know how this one got built but he will make a new one with framed cabinet and skin it. My install is Friday morning and he said I can pick it up at 7am on Friday. That was a relief. We'll see Friday morning.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Do you hafta take that one back ??

Yea, I sure as he'll ain't keeping it.

I really don't know how something like this can go out.. they are a large shop and I was looking around the inside and they do channel letters, have a paint booth, had to be like 20 people working there at least. This ain't no small outfit so I'm just pretty shocked that something like this would come out of that place. Like I said I've installed some of their work and it was impressive... I'm impressed he called this evening and promised to have it fixed before my planned install date....this Friday!

signage

yes the power supply should also have a UL label. So the cabinet doesn't, did the other ones you installed have
UL labels on the cabinets?

visual800

Once you get that puppy on the wall it will be good to go! I get all my stuff from sign builders in bham. they do pretty damn good cabinets BUT I have taken down cabinets before that were very flimsy but once you get them on the wall thats what counts. get it up deal with it not your responsibility but I do understand your not liking it

signage

Once you get that puppy on the wall it will be good to go! I get all my stuff from sign builders in bham. they do pretty damn good cabinets BUT I have taken down cabinets before that were very flimsy but once you get them on the wall thats what counts. get it up deal with it not your responsibility but I do understand your not liking it

If you have gotten permit to do the work how are you hanging an un UL cabinet? unless the area you are working in doesn't require, but now you are taking on a lot of responsibility. jm.02

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
Are those LED modules hot glued down?!? :covereyes:
I would expect full a break down on specs on quote from any wholesaler.
I am glad the vendor is going to make it right for you.