• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Vanguard a good printer? Which model is recommended?

parrott

I would be curious to know what issues Nate1n22 is having as well. Not really much to go wrong on the machine unless you have a bad operator. We have been very happy and any issues have been quickly addressed and fixed by Digitech.

Pinecrest

Hello everyone,
my shop is interested in purchasing a flatbed and we got recommended Vanguard.
I am just curious if those are quality machines, and which model would work best for us.
We are a medium volume company, we do a lot of foam core signs and corplast signs and Di-bond.
We have just been doing traditional mounting, but for big jobs it is far to tedious of a process.
We are looking at the VK300D-HS, VK300D-HVT, VK300D-SS, VKM600THS, VR5D-E.
I was just curious if anyone has any experience with any of these models and which one they would recommend for a shop of our size.
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
We just Purchased the VR5D-E , appears to be a very solid machine , we are still working on profiles that will give us quality and speed , if you decide to go with this model, definately and I mean definately upgrade to the dual row heads we did cmyk2+white, , Good Luck !

I don't know to much about Vanguard Im assuming is a good printer becasuse of possitive reviews, we have a Digitech Trufire LT/X2 with auto unloader and toghether with a colex flatbed is one of the best investment we ever made, we are a graphic screen printer using UV inks a and we are transition all the printing digitally because of the speed of the trufire only screen printing large jobs, the customer service of Digitech is amazing all the problemns have been taking care on time, we print almost a pallet of coro everyday this only with one shift

Nate1n22

I'd take the Digitech over the Vanguard. I've had experience with both. If you can afford it the Digitech is the way to go. Talk with Patric the owner there or go through Greg @ Global Imaging. Either will take care of you.

I would curious to know what issues you have/had Nate1n22 . Is it something simple?
We had electrical issues when we first got the printer that were causing a lot of problems. Very first production job we had the color was dropping out left and right. It was frustrating at the time because we couldn't get anyone out because of covid.
The machine has been better after we got through those issues. Some problems here and there but the service you get from Digitech is best in the industry if you ask me. No other company will do some of the things they have done for us

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
We had electrical issues when we first got the printer that were causing a lot of problems. Very first production job we had the color was dropping out left and right. It was frustrating at the time because we couldn't get anyone out because of covid.
The machine has been better after we got through those issues. Some problems here and there but the service you get from Digitech is best in the industry if you ask me. No other company will do some of the things they have done for us
That makes sense. Did they have to replace your power board? They've done a complete redesign of this board.

tollerdad

I'd take the Digitech over the Vanguard. I've had experience with both. If you can afford it the Digitech is the way to go. Talk with Patric the owner there or go through Greg @ Global Imaging. Either will take care of you.

I would curious to know what issues you have/had Nate1n22 . Is it something simple?
I am also reviewing the Trufire and have looked at Vanguard as well. Very impressed with Trufire. I love how people complain then never explain their issues.

parrott

I am also reviewing the Trufire and have looked at Vanguard as well. Very impressed with Trufire. I love how people complain then never explain their issues.

Very true. Every machine will eventually have a issue(s), it’s a matter of how it’s handled that makes a difference. The only issue we have had with ours in our first year were the crash sensors went bad and they had a new pair to our door the next morning. No down time and handled it quickly and professionally.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Are you planning to use only CMYK or white and/or clear as well? If planning on other then CMYK, you’ll need to do some more investigating…

Last edited:

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
No updates, I'm watching this thread y'all. Interested to hear the Digitech vs Vanguard debate.

parrott

Didn’t know it was a debate but I will put in my 2 cents.

Both machines are great but they are not in the same league. Comparing 10 head to 10 head machine, the Digitech is over twice as fast. Realisticly…the vanguard gets 18-22 boards per hour. Our Digitech runs 40-60 boards per hour depending on mode. We average 50 boards per hour with loading and unloading of material.

For the price, the vanguard is a good machine. If you are looking to get into flatbed printing it is a very solid investment. The people there are great and I am sure their service is good as well.

If you are looking to take your shop to the next level and separate yourself from the competition…Digitech is the best move you can make. For the money, it’s is by far the fastest machine with insanely good quality. The adhesion is better than anybody in the industry and their service cannot be best. They are a company that really wants to see their customers grow and be successful. They are not just trying to place machines, they really form a partnership and make you feel special.

Digitech X2 is much faster than Durst, EFI Swissprint at a fraction of the cost. The competition advertises 100 boards per hour but the quality is unsellable. A lot of people don’t believe the specs on Digitech but I can honestly say they are true. Do yourself a favor and go look at what they are doing. The quality build is far superior to everything else. Not to mention that it is designed, built and assembled in Texas. Again, a lot of other companies are advertising this but are simply assembled in USA with Chinese parts.

Go test drive all the equipment you can and find what fits your business the best.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I set up a customer with a SVR5 with 4 heads- 2 rows of CMYK no White.
He runs election signs on Coro and I profiled it to run 300x300 3 pass no feathering and it runs a 4x8 in 3 minutes with good color densities.
Email me if you would like the profile-no charge.
Bruce
bruce@melloimaging.com

parrott

That is good information to know. Add in 1 minute for loading and unloading and that machine is at 15 boards per hour. Again, this is good for entry level printing but would never compete in a production shop like ours. I could not live with less than 40 boards per hour.

Not knocking the Vangaurd as it is a great machine…I just don’t understand why Vangaurd and Digitech keep getting compared as they are in two totally different tiers.

That is good information to know. Add in 1 minute for loading and unloading and that machine is at 15 boards per hour. Again, this is good for entry level printing but would never compete in a production shop like ours. I could not live with less than 40 boards per hour.

Not knocking the Vangaurd as it is a great machine…I just don’t understand why Vangaurd an, I can't imagine not be able

Christian @ 2CT Media

Not knocking the Vangaurd as it is a great machine…I just don’t understand why Vangaurd and Digitech keep getting compared as they are in two totally different tiers.

We have a VK300D-HS with Dual Row. In production we get a sheet in about 1:15 mins and it takes 20 secs to unload/load the next sheet. In high quality it's about 2:30 mins a sheet.

That said, in very interested in the high productivity of the Truefire LT X2.

I agree 100% with Parrot, this are 2 different printers we print less tan a minute per board in our Trufire with the auto unloader I will be broke with 3 minutes per board

parrott

That is very impressive and good information. When I looked at the same machine it was around 2.5 minutes a board but that was a over a year ago. Not sure what settings we were running but it was not enough speed for what we were trying to achieve. Those are definitely not entry level speeds. Lol.

nate

I've owned both machines. I've run both machines. The high end Vanguard and the high end Digitech are in two separate classes. If you can afford it the Digitech is the way to go. Since we don't have Printing United to go to I suggest heading to San Antonio and speaking with Patric who owns Digitech or give Greg Lamb a call at Global Imaging (their main dealer).

TGINC

We had our Digitech Trufire LT/X2 installed 2 weeks ago and we're extremely happy with it. We're running corrugated cardboard and coroplast at 2pass and 3pass. 4x8 sheet in 0:23 seconds at 2pass and 0:36 seconds at 3pass. We're blown away with the speed, simplicity, and robust construction of this beast. I actually look forward to running it, unlike some of our other machines. The staff there is extremely responsive to our questions, again, unlike the tier 1/tier 2/tier 3 remote support we get with some of our other machines.

We had our Digitech Trufire LT/X2 installed 2 weeks ago and we're extremely happy with it. We're running corrugated cardboard and coroplast at 2pass and 3pass. 4x8 sheet in 0:23 seconds at 2pass and 0:36 seconds at 3pass. We're blown away with the speed, simplicity, and robust construction of this beast. I actually look forward to running it, unlike some of our other machines. The staff there is extremely responsive to our questions, again, unlike the tier 1/tier 2/tier 3 remote support we get with some of our other machines.
welcome to the Trufire club, only those that have this printer know the the thru advantage, you don't need a to spend more than half million dollar to compete anymore