• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is VW6 multi-core aware?

tedbragg

VW 6 is ”64 bit’ but the real question I have is, can it make use of multiple cores? VW Dual and ver5 are single core only. If 6 truly is multi core, then we won’t need to upgrade our Athlon x4 640…sure, a newer setup would be ideal but we’re stuck with what we have for now.

victor bogdanov

I think RIP is a linear process and only one core is utilized per instance of Ripping.

The newer VW version can rip a couple of files at the same time and each instance of ripping will use one CPU core.

But the multicore will not speed up a single file being ripped

netsol

Things have been "multicore aware" since the core 2 duo days. The I series (i3, i5 & i7 started out with 4 cores. I installed some 13th Gen I 5 the other day, with 20 cores. The OS needs to be multicore aware. It makes the decision to assign a task to the processor. In SCO5 (unix) you manually assigned processes to individual cores .

Isn't it mostly a LICENSE issue, deciding how many processes versa works can run at once?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think RIP is a linear process and only one core is utilized per instance of Ripping.

The newer VW version can rip a couple of files at the same time and each instance of ripping will use one CPU core.

But the multicore will not speed up a single file being ripped
Yup. Multi core support is useful for ripping multiple files at once, but the RIP process for a single file is known as "non-parallelizable."