• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is your shop prepared for the upcoming barter system?

Signarama Jockey

It seems like every day, the tea leaves come up the same; bad times are ahead.

I was hoping to check in and see if anyone else was thinking about how they will effectively run their business on the barter system once the dollar becomes totally worthless in a couple of years. Have you considered how many eggs you will accept for your hand carved signs? Will you have someone trained in appraisals who can determine the value of guitars, batteries and gold teeth, and how big of a "Family starving, will do literally anything for food!" sign it will get them in trade? Do you have a pen or other area where livestock and food animals (such as sheep, goats and dogs) will be kept? Do you have plans to transition your bucket trucks into bucket horse drawn wagons? What will be your policies on installing signs in the irradiated wastelands? Will your designers stick with "The end is nigh", or will you modernize the language to "The end is near"?

Right now, we're just starting this process. We're already instituting a policy that we simply will not accept jobs in sectors where cannibalism has been confirmed, and we plan on providing signage to whatever gang boss or monsterous dictator that rises to power locally in exchange for their protection (and sign permitting). We've already decided to be mutant-tolerant, and to accept all customers as equals, no matter how many eyes and fingers they have. I think our biggest concern is going to be labor costs, so hopefully the warlords will come through with prisoners who we can put to work removing screws and bending sharp metal with their bare hands in the work rooms.

It's going to be an exciting time. Lots of changes on the horizon.

What kinds of plans have you made?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I deciding what I'm gonna have for lunch and you're worried about wearing tin foil hats ?? Get a grip on yourself.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If that happens, I will have zero need to make signs for a living. My value will raise exponentially due to my gardening and homemaking skills.

I do barter now with certain things but it's all based on the dollar system. I need dirt for my garden...I make some stickers. Stuff like that.

My plans are a secret. I have a plan and I have a list of things I'll be bringing with me in case of emergency or natural disaster. Some of those things are hidden, some are not. No sense in bragging about this kind of stuff much as if something DOES happen, it's the people that are ready that will be the first ones raided. Nobody in town needs to know about my basement growing operation or my seed collection or anything else.

Paulette

It seems like every day, the tea leaves come up the same; bad times are ahead.

I was hoping to check in and see if anyone else was thinking about how they will effectively run their business on the barter system once the dollar becomes totally worthless in a couple of years. Have you considered how many eggs you will accept for your hand carved signs? Will you have someone trained in appraisals who can determine the value of guitars, batteries and gold teeth, and how big of a "Family starving, will do literally anything for food!" sign it will get them in trade? Do you have a pen or other area where livestock and food animals (such as sheep, goats and dogs) will be kept? Do you have plans to transition your bucket trucks into bucket horse drawn wagons? What will be your policies on installing signs in the irradiated wastelands? Will your designers stick with "The end is nigh", or will you modernize the language to "The end is near"?

Right now, we're just starting this process. We're already instituting a policy that we simply will not accept jobs in sectors where cannibalism has been confirmed, and we plan on providing signage to whatever gang boss or monsterous dictator that rises to power locally in exchange for their protection (and sign permitting). We've already decided to be mutant-tolerant, and to accept all customers as equals, no matter how many eyes and fingers they have. I think our biggest concern is going to be labor costs, so hopefully the warlords will come through with prisoners who we can put to work removing screws and bending sharp metal with their bare hands in the work rooms.

It's going to be an exciting time. Lots of changes on the horizon.

What kinds of plans have you made?
That is funny as hell

JBurton

Signtologist
If that happens, I will have zero need to make signs for a living.
Y'all crazy if you really think folks won't need signs at the end of the world. Folks need to know how many caps for a case of shells, where to look out for ghouls, how far to new vegas. Now ADA, that sh*ts in the dumpster, but ya gotta know mad max doesn't want to be cruising around in a rusty death machine, but can certainly appreciate how much cooler his death machine would look, wrapped in a faux patina.
The true death of the sign industry is the teleporter!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Signs will be needed... How ya' gonna know it's coming without them?

2639_cartoon_the_end.jpg;w=960

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you know how many times the end has been announced over the years ?? We were told for sure, the world would be ending before I got outta high school. Made some kids quit early..... the dumb ones.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Stacey has a secret grow operation in the basement... She will be ready when the cartels give up the drug trade when the dollar becomes worthless. She'll have half of you lined up at the door trying to trade a design for a joint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Start saving bottle caps.

Why ??

When I was a little kid, we'd get 2¢ for 10oz soda bottles and 5¢ for qt bottles. Now, you hafta give them back and they charge you for collecting them. You ain't gettin' jack for them caps

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Nah, just finished watching that new fallout show on amazon
I started watching that this weekend, but then I fell asleep. Is it any good? I did finish watching a docu series called "The Garden". A bunch of hippies, an off-shoot of the rainbow family trying to live off grid. I think most of them are gonna die when it get's real.

WildWestDesigns

Do you know how many times the end has been announced over the years ?? We were told for sure, the world would be ending before I got outta high school. Made some kids quit early..... the dumb ones.
Economics isn't known as the "dismal science" for nothing.

If that happens, I will have zero need to make signs for a living. My value will raise exponentially due to my gardening and homemaking skills.
Finally being a 6th generation aggie and having a degree in it will actually come in handy.