• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is your shop prepared for the upcoming barter system?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks for tearing into my fallout headcanon with economics. So the world has ended, let's say zombies, what is your go to barter/money/currency? Sharp sticks>bullets>pogs?
After some time communities would start popping up. People of the community would first support each other like a commune. Next communities would start trading with other communities as some might have a lot of tradesmen, some may focus on food growing, etc. Bartering and trading would be the main currency until small governments are formed within these communities. The small communities would likely start joining other communities. After these communities are well organized and working together, they would likely start minting coins, just like every civilization has done in the past. I would be surprised if our current coins and paper bills would be the currency. It would almost certainly have to be something new.

Zombies are unlikely but you will need more than a hammer. I think you will be OK based on what we know about you being somewhat of a redneck LOL

Add me to the Looney Toon category with Signorama :roflmao: I've seen every doomsday and zombie movie or series ever written LOL

JBurton

Signtologist
I think that their spaceships run on gold and silver
Good guess, but its actually water!
Add me to the Looney Toon category with Signorama :roflmao: I've seen every doomsday and zombie movie or series ever written LOL
And my axe!
1715092368583.png

JBurton

Signtologist
This was a really bad joke.
IDK, I'll take it as a thought experiment, our current businesses in a nontraditional setting. This can be very useful in a way.
For example, we had a pandemic. Billboards sales plummeted, fabrication got kicked back with delays, clear acrylic/poly price soared, but floor graphics exploded. I don't think anybody predicted the changes in trends, and while signs are nothing in the grand scheme of things, such a thought experiment could have brought such revelations to light before the world got shut down.
Now, imagine a world with nothing but self driving cars... how many polesigns are we going to see going up when everybody's nose is buried in their phone while riding around?
How about augmented reality. While I don't think 'everybody' will be walking around in apple headsets one day, it is an interesting concept to provide 'signage' that can be changed in an instant for essentially 0 cost. So what happens to the real sign business?
Just saying, talking about stupid sh*t can be productive if you use enough words to justify it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Anyone have a favorite post apocalypse movie? Zombies, war, whatever...
I'm glad you asked! Not in any specific order...

Movies:
28 Days Later - scary, fast zombies are frightening
Train to Busan - tear jerker - excellent movie
Cargo - one of my absolute favorite movies!
The Dead - not much talking, never underestimate a slow zombie!
Maggie - with Arnold Schwartenegger - not bad!
Rec - scary
Day of the Dead - classic
World War Z - good even though I don't like Brad Pitt
Zombieland - classic

Series:
The Walking Dead
Black Summer - second favorite
Reality Z - underrated and very good
Z-nation - Knock off of TWD, quite a good series

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I played the game Plants vs Zombies. That's about it.
although, I did go so far that one halloween I dressed up like a zombie, and dressed my kiddo as a sunflower (back when I could still dress her up).

Signarama Jockey

This was a really bad joke. You weren't around for AMS.... but you and him are kin.

A joke is something that makes you laugh... like when Gino puts the car in reverse, he says "Ah, this takes me back."
And you don't think that "Will you have someone trained in appraisals who can determine the value of guitars, batteries and gold teeth, and how big of a "Family starving, will do literally anything for food!" sign it will get them in trade?"

It isn't a dad joke, true, but that is funny. It doesn't even get a smirk out of you?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
And you don't think that "Will you have someone trained in appraisals who can determine the value of guitars, batteries and gold teeth, and how big of a "Family starving, will do literally anything for food!" sign it will get them in trade?"

It isn't a dad joke, true, but that is funny. It doesn't even get a smirk out of you?
No, we've heard the same thing from people on here who were dead serious... Quite a few people. With your beliefs in other threads, it wasn't beyond reach you were one of them.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People

Working for a retail business and dealing with buyers for it I will tell you that an item is only worth what you can get for it. Look at chains like Ross and TJ Max, they take what wouldn't sell at the desired MSRP and sell it for less. I have seen new items come in and drop in price by half when they didn't sell until the stock was gone. I bet MSRP on clothes is about 200% above cost if not more.

I have been selling stuff on ebay where it is even more true.

Patrick Farrell

If things do go pear shaped, and the printing is no longer a viable means for providing, there's an awful lot of stuff on a printer that be re-purposed. Thinking of the mag rails on our VK300D. Or the vacuum table. I have fought the urge to turn it into a giant air hockey rink lol