• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issue wet applying clear prints on acrylic.

Rdhillo1

I have had this issue quite a bit where the edges look to have had the liquid soak into the adhesive(looks like ghosting?) I’ve tried water with soap (distilled with baby soap). I’ve tried rapid tac and same results.

I can usually get about 75% of them and always have to reprint 25% of an order.

I use a mounting table and I’ve used a laminator as well. I have been using a more cost effective vinyl from general formulations which I think could be the issue but I wanted to check and see if this could be an application issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 1A020839-B938-4273-9292-F135CFBEEFC2.jpeg
    1A020839-B938-4273-9292-F135CFBEEFC2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 243
  • 53AE6EF6-567B-4AE9-ADB2-85E328E3A205.jpeg
    53AE6EF6-567B-4AE9-ADB2-85E328E3A205.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162

petepaz

why are you wet applying?
if you are using a mounting table or a laminator you really shouldn't need to wet apply, do you need to reposition it or move it for some reason?

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, looks like it was wet applied and lifted, likely when someone moved it around the table to finish trimming. I'll usually let stuff dry thoroughly before trimming if wet applying.
I've done many reversed prints with a satin laminate to hide any such issues, arlon 4500g clear and arlon 3420 satin.

Johnny Best

Also your squeegee is important for getting all the liquid pushed out. I use a Geek wrap suede for applying things of this nature.

Rdhillo1

why are you wet applying?
if you are using a mounting table or a laminator you really shouldn't need to wet apply, do you need to reposition it or move it for some reason?
I used to and was getting dust in them but I’m thinking that was more consist for me. I was told to wet apply so I have the opportunity to remove the dust if needed.

Rdhillo1

Yeah, looks like it was wet applied and lifted, likely when someone moved it around the table to finish trimming. I'll usually let stuff dry thoroughly before trimming if wet applying.
I've done many reversed prints with a satin laminate to hide any such issues, arlon 4500g clear and arlon 3420 satin.
Yeh we were letting it dry and that happened. I was more concerned about the ones not on the edge. We had other that are like this untrimmed.

When you say laminate are you not putting a white backing on ?

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeh we were letting it dry and that happened. I was more concerned about the ones not on the edge. We had other that are like this untrimmed.

When you say laminate are you not putting a white backing on ?
No white backer, but usually it's black text on a donor plaque, not colorful artwork. They usually want to see the wall behind, but don't mind a frosted finish that they are looking through.
For wet applying, a fine mist spray bottle does wonders, giving you a misted surface as opposed to a sputtering of fluid that includes bubbles...
This also kinda looks like a flame polishing error, where the flame washed over the face and makes it look exactly this kinda wet. The second picture with the hard diagonal angle definitely looks like it was lifted and reapplied without more fluid. These are pics of a clear acrylic letter with cast vinyl on the back. The letters pushed through an acrylic face, so they had a lip to keep them in place, but the flame polishing with the lip caused the flames to lap up across the face more than the edges as intended. I ended up replacing the whole 3x8 because of this line of subtext, 3" tall letters, that the secretary could not get clean.
IMG_5997.jpg
IMG_5998.jpg

Broome Signs

hi
if you get the correct cutters you don't need to flame polish the acrylic, as the cutters will leave a polished edge when used with a mist coolant
talk to your local tooling supplier
we use itc-ltd.co.uk.

or put 2 layers of transfer tape on the the vinyl before you cut it
get an old shami wet it down and the put the letter face down on it before you polish