• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues with 3M Wrap material

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with 3M IJ180CV3 Wrap material. I did a partial wrap, most of it dicut with a small white outline around it. We use 8548 Gloss laminate. The wrap outgassed for at least 5 days before it was laminated. It was installed October 2018. I use a Mimaki printer with Mimaki Inks.
One year later and it is "rusting" around all of the vinyl. I have a claim in with my supplier, who is dealing direct with 3M on the issue, but I am told it can be a month or more before we have a resolution.
I haven't had any of my other wraps come back. I was wondering if any one else was having any similar issues.

Attachments

• IMG954874.jpg
    IMG954874.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG954876.jpg
    IMG954876.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG954877.jpg
    IMG954877.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 556

fresh

I have no idea, but it looks like you did everything right.

Is there any chance this client LOVES to wash their vehicle? One mystery was solved when I found out the person washed their truck with Mother's Car Wash detergent multiple times a week. (He did NOT like a dirty work truck.)

HulkSmash

small enough job. Re do the job, for free and wait for 3Ms response. Keep the client happy.

but it looks like material failure or abrasive cleaning chemicals?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with 3M IJ180CV3 Wrap material. I did a partial wrap, most of it dicut with a small white outline around it. We use 8548 Gloss laminate. The wrap outgassed for at least 5 days before it was laminated. It was installed October 2018. I use a Mimaki printer with Mimaki Inks.
One year later and it is "rusting" around all of the vinyl. I have a claim in with my supplier, who is dealing direct with 3M on the issue, but I am told it can be a month or more before we have a resolution.
I haven't had any of my other wraps come back. I was wondering if any one else was having any similar issues.

Do you get much rain there by chance?

small enough job. Re do the job, for free and wait for 3Ms response. Keep the client happy.

Do you get much rain there by chance?

Yes, we are redoing the job at no charge.

Do you have an 'outgas station' or some other controlled manner of outgassing, or do you print, roll up, and set on a shelf for 5 days?
We have milk crates screwed to 2x4's so they sit off the ground allowing the solvents to "fall", fans running all day and night in a separate outgassing room that is separately climate controlled. We outgas the prints in the milk crates, very loosely rolled for a minimum of 3 days on all jobs, and try to do a minimum of 5 days on wraps when the clients schedule allows.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_095255.jpg
    IMG_20191008_095255.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 496

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I live in south Florida, so we do get significant rain at times. But we have been wrapping for 10+ years and never had this happen

I have seen this happen before and it was a result of chemicals in the rain water reacting with the adhesive. You should check under the vinyl and make sure it is not on the vehicle also. Maybe it isn't the same issue, but I have seen this before.

I'm curious as to how you determined that it was chemicals in the rain water? And that being the case, how did you resolve it with the customer? If it wasn't a you problem or a material failure, what did you tell the client?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I'm curious as to how you determined that it was chemicals in the rain water? And that being the case, how did you resolve it with the customer? If it wasn't a you problem or a material failure, what did you tell the client?

It happened to a huge amount of vehicles in a specific area and they determined it was some kind of reaction to the rain water that caused the issue. I have no idea how they figured it out, but that's what the final answer was.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I could be wa-a-ay off base with this, but I've seen similar and so have most of you. A few questions.

I'm sure the vehicle was washed and prepped properly, but I don't think this is coming from below the vinyl, but outside problems. Seeing how this is happening around ALL the edges, indicates nothing is falling from the rain or spilling on it, but hitting it head on.

Around here, we have a fleet of police cruisers and SUVs with a similar problem. It gets like that around the edges and we finally figured out, it's the salt and salt brine they have in storage about 250' away. They park their cars in designated spots and the ones closest to the salt piles are the ones which have the most problems, down to the side facing the pile is worse than the other side of the vehicle. It doesn't happen while the salt is just sitting there, but they use large backhoes to fill trucks in the winter and that's when the stuff gets airborne. No other police departments have this problem and we use the same vinyl for all of them.
Years ago, we did many signs along the Jersey seaboard and those signs took a punishment from the sand hitting it, but more so from the salt air.

Are you located near salt air/water ??

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
It looks to me like the overlaminate is seperating from the print media. Which would have nothing to do with outgassing. And everything is white so ink isn't even involved. Everything on the inside looks great. Laminator pressure? I wonder if the same issue would happen if it was full bleed with a light color.

Christian @ 2CT Media

So I may have a similar issue. I now have quite a few vehicles exhibiting this in mostly humid and rainy states. It's not with 3M though, we did these on Avery and Arlon and they were printed with Latex or UvGel... It's really weird as it's trapped between the laminate and print surface.

Attachments

• PXL_20211216_204914644.jpg
    PXL_20211216_204914644.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 173