• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's Christmas Float time again....

Pat Whatley

Somebody give me a theme for a Christmas float that isn't overly Christmas.....more like anything that's not Christmas that we can stick a Santa hat on and call it a Christmas float. Apparently we're going to continue the trend of half-assing a float one year, then putting actual effort into it the next year.

This is "actual effort" year.

Year one we did a 12' tall animatronic paper mache' snowman. We won the city parade float contest but they gave the prize to the Sheriff's Department float "because the Sheriff's department does so much for the city." Decided that year to NEVER go Christmas again.

Year two we stuck signs on a trailer and called it done.

Year three we made the bad assed pirate ship called the YO HO HO. Didn't win because it "wasn't Christmassy enough" but I bet there were more pictures taken of our float than the rest of the floats combined.

Year four we reused the signs from year two.

Year five was a 10' tall cartoon furry Christmas tree with a 10' tall cartoon house with a Suess moose coming through the upstairs window. Sold the house and the moose head (woo hoo!)

Year six....you guessed it, signs on a trailer but at least these were backlit with a strobe light.

Year seven we built a bamboo tiki hut, complete with palm roof, and threw lei's. That float was an award winner.

Year eight....upgraded signs on a float, backlit, 10,000 Christmas lights, but still amounts to just signs on a float.

THIS YEAR....this year I've got plenty of help, two bad assed nail guns, a new chainsaw and plenty of lumber...what I don't have are friends with any creative ability or the ability to do any intense decorative work.....and our usual budget of about $212.15 (half the fun is figuring out how to build the float for what is essentially a five gallon jug of change)

So here's what I need help with. I need a theme or an idea. It sucks that I can sit with these guys, drink beers, discuss the Christmas float, and the best idea I can get out of them is to build a dang X-wing fighter (won't work, too much wingspread) followed by a 30 minute discussion of making land cruisers (would look like a sofa) an inflatable Jabba the Hut, or an Ak-Ak with animatronic legs and candy cannon.

Right now I'm leaning toward a 2.5-D dragon standing on the back and laying across the top of the backlit sign in the middle of the float and using a squirrel cage blower to direct air through the body and out the mouth blowing backlit color "flame" streamers but that may be too ambitious considering my compatriots. Remember, with our budget and our time frame we're not talking Dan Sawatsky caliber bad-assed....the idea is that people are too confused about how the float ties in to Christmas that they don't notice the lack of adherence to safe, proper, or effective construction standards. (the tiki hut logged 180 miles on the road.....disassembly involved me knocking out one support and running for my life)

You people are creative geniuses and grown up juvenile delinquents.....throw out some ideas.

Please.

I hate Star Wars.

charissabuskirk

I know you said something that's "not" Christmas... but my mind immediately went to the Grinch or A Christmas Story. With your $212.15 budget can you recreate the leg lamp, maybe somehow with the crate? I despise that movie after MANY years of watching it OVER an OVER Christmas morning...but the best part WAS the "French" FRAGILE leg lamp!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nothing says "not really Christmas" like a low budget Ben Hur movie makeover.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• 32a-ben-hur1-550x361.jpg
    32a-ben-hur1-550x361.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 111

weaselboogie

...and don't think I've forgotten WeaselBoogies idea from two years ago.

Wow. I forgot all about that. I do remember suggesting a large pig dressed as a police officer because you got ripped from your title by the police department. A little jab and a twist and a police department drooling to throw the book at you.

qmr55

I know you said something that's "not" Christmas... but my mind immediately went to the Grinch or A Christmas Story. With your $212.15 budget can you recreate the leg lamp, maybe somehow with the crate? I despise that movie after MANY years of watching it OVER an OVER Christmas morning...but the best part WAS the "French" FRAGILE leg lamp!

Agreed! Make the crate with the lamp sitting on it!

HulkSmash

Wow. I forgot all about that. I do remember suggesting a large pig dressed as a police officer because you got ripped from your title by the police department. A little jab and a twist and a police department drooling to throw the book at you.

I like this idea.

Border

How about the Ben Hur Chariots and warriors fighting each other but being each one pulled by the dog(s) from "Grinch" with one antler? The chariots could have the Arm & Hammer logo on them to really confuse the chit outta people.

Pat Whatley

Chariots idea is gonna be kind of hard to pull off on a trailer....but Max the dog and Roosevelt Franklin are always on the float.

ABPGraphics

Maybe do something that reminds everyone of winter like the first pic - or you could go with the song and cut each animal out of wood - i made a 4x8 banner of this - pretty cool :)

Attachments

• merry christmas.jpg
    merry christmas.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Christmas Banner 2.jpg
    Christmas Banner 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 104

SignManiac

Pat you are more than welcome to make one like ours last year. Amazing what you can do with cardboard :)

Attachments

• CIMG3433.JPG
    CIMG3433.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 133
  • CIMG3431.JPG
    CIMG3431.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 124
  • CIMG3436.JPG
    CIMG3436.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 104

Sign_Boy

That's the winner!!!!

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 100