• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's Here.................... !!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The snow has started in my area about 1/2 hour ago. We're supposed to get around 18". We'll see. Going home in a few minutes and gonna honker down. House generator is all up to snuff, both snow blowers are in tip top shape..... so, bring it on. See ya Monday........ hopefully.

:thumb:

Oh, and got plenty of this on hand.......:bushmill:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Yep stay warm.

Any snow due for you Wayne?

It has been unusually nice and cool here for the last few months - almost chilly enough to consider wearing pants & shoes to work......

wayne k
guam usa

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Sounds like not more than 3-6 for us here in SE NE but after last winter I'm good with that! I'll still honker down with a couple Oatmeal Stouts. Enjoy.

WildWestDesigns

Blood is too Thin for This

Only about 4"s here, but that's more then enough for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 111

Andy D

LOL Wildwest, I was thinking, hey that looks like around here.. I never noticed you live near by :smile:

For the record Gino 18" of snow would kill half the population around here...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160122_150018.jpg
    20160122_150018.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20160122_150215.jpg
    20160122_150215.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 139

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What a bunch of wusses. A few inches or feet or whatever of snow and everyone acts like it's the complete collapse of civilization as we know it and perhaps the end of the world soon may hove to on the horizon before it's all over.

It snows, deal with it. It doesn't really matter how deep it gets since you only have to deal with the same top part of whatever's on the ground. It might be fodder for a spot of oohing and ahhing, sniveling and kvetching, but still; just put a sock in it and deal with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What a bunch of wusses. A few inches or feet or whatever of snow and everyone acts like it's the complete collapse of civilization as we know it and perhaps the end of the world soon may hove to on the horizon before it's all over.

It snows, deal with it. It doesn't really matter how deep it gets since you only have to deal with the same top part of whatever's on the ground. It might be fodder for a spot of oohing and ahhing, sniveling and kvetching, but still; just put a sock in it and deal with it.

Hahahaaaa........... you must be the abominable snowman, huh ?? Hi Mr Yeti.

No, no one is treating it like it's the end of the world at all. Preparing for it and being responsible is part of anyone's character. While it starts out like a postcard or beautiful winterscape, it usually ends up a bit of a disaster for many. Some people have already died from it. Where I live, the power almost always goes out due to the ice and heavy snow, knocking down power lines. During such blizzards like this, our fireplace is prepared, food is ready, extra clothes, flashlights and the generator for when the outage occurs. It is almost always when..... and not if.

So, while we do indeed deal with it, it's still fun to talk about it. Our socks are better fitted for our feet at this time.

The thing I like most about these storms is..... it puts everything into perspective. Earth and Mother Nature still rule. Earth...... you know that place....... that's where you're from, right ??

Anyway, at 6 this morning, we were around 14" and the main storm hasn't gotten here, yet. We'll see.

Craig Sjoquist

OHHHH it is so cold out 47 when I woke up & going only to a high of 57 tomorrow morning 37 ohhhh no, but it starts warming up to 60 plus

& NO SNOW grrrrrrrr I want to get to get out & shovel all day & drive on the icy roads that is so much fun plus plowing through all that snow just to be something

Yawl have a great & safe time

WildWestDesigns

LOL Wildwest, I was thinking, hey that looks like around here.. I never noticed you live near by :smile:

Yep, not too far at all. But still far enough that I don't make it into Nashville all that much either. Ball and chain works in Nashville though, but other then a couple of trade shows a year at the new convention center, that's about it.

bob

-22` Celsius here in Canada.

Windchill makes it -30` C

Wind chill, the darling of television weather comics everywhere, does not make -22º=-30º. The air temperature is not affected in any way by how hard the wind blows.

If you place a bucket of water out in 35ºF and the 'wind chill' says the it's the 'same' as 25ºF, will the water in the bucket freeze? Absolutely not. No matter how hard the wind might huff and puff, it won't lower the air temperature an iota.

Weather comics love to quote 'wind chill' because it sounds so much more dramatic than the plain old vanilla air temperature. Wind chill expresses the work required to raise and maintain temperatures above ambient [air temperature] expressed as air temperature. Wind chill is more properly the rate of cooling down to ambient temperature, nothing else.

player

Up here wind chill is used to know how to dress for the weather. If it is -10`C but there is strong wind, you need to dress for -25`C not -10`C. (-10`C = 14`F ; -25`C = -13`F )

Myself, and many others appreciate the value of wind chill info.

petrosgraphics

wind chill important here too. air temp does not mean a thing if it is 10 degrees with a 30 mph wind. Gino have fun, we are just waiting our turn as well, just a little later on today. we will have coastal erosion issues, not good for us with 40-50 mph sustained winds with higher gust. snow is snow, wind and higher than normal tides is not good.

WildWestDesigns

About all the depth that we got here this go round. Little more then usual, but not too bad. Did far more damage to a few of my leyland cypress trees.

Attachments

• 20160123_085719.jpg
    20160123_085719.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 93

Split76

below -22 celsius for 3 weeks here in finland. -34 at lowest.. No rush for outdoor jobs, finally I have time to finish some unfinished jobs which have been hangin for a while.. :D

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Wind chill, the darling of television weather comics everywhere, does not make -22º=-30º. The air temperature is not affected in any way by how hard the wind blows.

If you place a bucket of water out in 35ºF and the 'wind chill' says the it's the 'same' as 25ºF, will the water in the bucket freeze? Absolutely not. No matter how hard the wind might huff and puff, it won't lower the air temperature an iota.

Weather comics love to quote 'wind chill' because it sounds so much more dramatic than the plain old vanilla air temperature. Wind chill expresses the work required to raise and maintain temperatures above ambient [air temperature] expressed as air temperature. Wind chill is more properly the rate of cooling down to ambient temperature, nothing else.

What a dolt!

I live in winters hell and I can tell you first hand wind chill is not a weathermans dream....

today was 20 and a perfect day to be outside

couple days ago it was 22 and completely miserable, why? the wind makes it unbearable....

bob, put a sock in it!

bob

What a dolt!

I live in winters hell and I can tell you first hand wind chill is not a weathermans dream....

today was 20 and a perfect day to be outside

couple days ago it was 22 and completely miserable, why? the wind makes it unbearable....

bob, put a sock in it!

You insufferable ninny, no one said that wind was pleasant.

What was said was the 'wind chill' has nothing to do with the actual temperature and is a rather misleading way to describe effort needed to raise or maintain a temperature above ambient. Since, it's assumed here, that your temperature is somewhat above ambient at around 98.6ºF** if the wind is blowing, depending on velocity, you have to burn more calories to maintain that temperature than if the air were still. It does not mean that you will freeze any harder or freeze at all if the air is above 32ºF.

Moreover, weather clowns love wind chill if they're going on about how cold it is or is going to be because it sounds so much more dramatic than the relatively boring air temperature. Which, of course, is the actual temperature.

** 98.6ºF was the result of a rather unscientific study in done the late 19th century. More of a poll than a study. Normal human temperature is actually a small range and its mean is a bit lower than 98.6ºF.