• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's more than just a statement under my avatar...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm blessed to have spent one of November's finest days helping my grandsons make connections I never knew as a boy.

We drove past my childhood home, the elementary school I attended, and some of my favorite haunts as a young lad.

The abundance of laughter and silly boyish humor helped me see the simpler side of life, where the hardest decisions center around the Dairy Queen menu.

An amber sunset, and their litany of questions greeted me at the grave of my parents. And I stood there amazed to know that I was the only one on earth who had the answers.

JB

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Sounds like you're having a good time. What are the pennies for?
There are many reasons, and some have ascribed certain meanings for each type of coin.

I mainly understand it to mean "I was here".

JB

Johnny Best

When you die you have to cross the river Styx. You need money to pay the boatman to get across.Or you are stuck on the shore untill you get enough payment. I suppose that over thousands of years the guy has raised the price for voyage. Gold coins or rolls of quarters might be better. Plus your grandkids will learn a little mythology.

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's such a neat story! Every time I see boys playing it reminds me of my boys when they were young. I certainly miss playing with them, going to the beach building sandcastles, taking hikes, mostly reading books before bed! And just listening to them talk to each other about dinosaurs, trucks, trains, all that fun stuff!

And yes, picking out what you want at Dairy Queen was the only thing they worried about!

Gene@mpls

Travel with your kids is very important. When my daughter was 13 we started touring the country [2 weeks a year] in my full custom '67 corv convert-
until she was about 21. We have seen almost all the states [not Alaska- I am trying to escape winter].

By the by- she worked with me for 20 years when I started a sign shop at 50yo- never had been in a sign shop. Exciting.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Travel with your kids is very important. When my daughter was 13 we started touring the country [2 weeks a year] in my full custom '67 corv convert-
until she was about 21. We have seen almost all the states [not Alaska- I am trying to escape winter].

By the by- she worked with me for 20 years when I started a sign shop at 50yo- never had been in a sign shop. Exciting.
I got an RV and we did that all summer with my 11 year old daughter. It was great bonding time with our family.