• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's not just the newbies for me...

Jeff

ABC's jpeg.jpg

OldPaint

I, like jeff........was somewhat obsessed with drawing in my school tablets rather then taking notes.....was also privliged to be noticed by an old "shakey jake," sign painter that frequented my parent bar. he saw the fascination in my eyes .......everytime he picked up a brush and laid it down.......and he knew who i would be before i ever did.
i never worked for a sign company, but always seemed to be doing something with signs all my life till i hit 42........got fired by some 21 yr old kid, who told me i was incompetent))))))) i had more yrs working then he had living....and i knew then......i would never have another "boss." picked up my brushes.....and started hittin the street talkin to people i knew and as they say.....rest is history)))) i have never had another job with someone telling me what and how to do it.!!!!!!!!!
i to see the asinine questions,poor design and layout......and lack of skill and ability to do anything other then punch keys on a keyboard.........and call yourself a GRAPHIX DESIGNER))))))(misspelled on purpose)!
being "old school, have a hard time figurin' out how lower case letters came to be the main copy in a sign. the dots in between the phone numbers as the way to lay it out. mostly all text now.........is single color, no drop shades, cause lower case and drop shades dont work....or they think the more garbage you throw at the sign in effects.......this makes you a talented sign designer.
iam still doin........will til they close the lid.....not happy with what i see being called signs.

Marlene

back in the "good ole days" for many of us, it wasn't as easy to be a newbie. signs were painted, Gerber 4B's helped some as they cut letters but the fonts were expensive and most people only had a few and did other lettering with other methods. graphics pretty much were all done by hand in some form, pounce patterns, projectors or freehand. it was hard to be a newbie and a hack as you had to have talent of some kind or nothing got made. in this day and age, being a newbie is a piece of cake. turn on a 'puter, throw in a program and off you go, no talent required. still that wouldn't be an issue if the person doing that worked at learning the trade and what it is that they are oing. in a lot of cases, that is just what happens. they come here ask questions, pick up a book, learn some of the bones of a design and try over and over until they get it. some don't. all they want is the computer, program and they think that is it. ask a few pros where to buy some stuff or how to clean a window and off you go. how to clean a freaking window, really? it is at that point that I know I just can't take any more and just want to bash that person, why? they don't respect the trade or the people who are in it. I have no problem with a newbie wanting to learn. I hate the hobby people with a passion as they have turned our trade into a joke with their horrid lowballer signs

mark in tx

You think the sign trade can be rough on new people?
Have you ever worked or apprenticed as a welder, or a pipefitter, or an electrician?
Those guys are genuinely rough on the new kids.
Watch out for that live wire kid, oops! the other wire ha ha.

In the 9 years I have been doing this now, I have watched at least 8 other shops open and close within a year, some of them within 2 months. I'm still kicking, and I still don't know everything I need to know on a daily basis, but I have noticed that most of the people that post here frequently are more than willing to help and mentor, and it might not always be sugarcoated, but that is needed more than people realize.
I have a local mentor that helps me out quite frequently, but it took a few years to build that relationship. Without that wonderful combination of educating, laughing, and pointing the fickle finger of fate at the right person at the right time, none of us would succeed.

Bigcat_hunter

I find it kind of sickening how some people on here are very quick to judge who is a hack and the comments posted. There is a very "elitist" type attitude in this industry apparently. If your first response is to belittle a person for asking a question maybe you should take a look at yourself. The more people I meet the more I want to move to Alaska.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I find it kind of sickening how some people on here are very quick to judge who is a hack and the comments posted. There is a very "elitist" type attitude in this industry apparently. If your first response is to belittle a person for asking a question maybe you should take a look at yourself. The more people I meet the more I want to move to Alaska.

The Alaska move might not be a good idea:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/alaska-back-russia/SFG1ppfN
If they succeed(secede) you could find yourself wooden block printing Shirtless Putin Posters 16hrs a day.....

On the topic:
Life is harsh (and not getting any softer), if your reaction to words posted on a forum is more than mild amusement it might be time for a little introspection.

wayne k
guam usa

Bigcat_hunter