• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jagged lines from the cutter

DealerSupplySigns

Hey y'all, another query here. I'm using the CE7000-60 to cut with graphtec pro studio and I'm getting some jagged lines off of it. Sometimes it will happen when the quality of the image I have is too low. That's understandable. I've never had it with typed text before however. This ampersand came out looking pretty funky. Any wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Ampersand.jpg
    Ampersand.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 216

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
How's your blade? You might need to change it OR there might be material stuck in it. Also, check your artwork in wireframe to see if there are nodes in those areas...are you using cheap blades or brand blades?

unclebun

You can't cut from a low quality jpg. You can't cut from a high quality jpg. You can only cut from a vector file. So if the vinyl is cutting weird, the vector file is weird. All of that is IF the cutter and blade are all working the way they are meant to. You can get weirdness in the output if the blade holder is loose or the clamping force of the grit wheels is too low, for example. But if there is a physical problem like that, it will do it all the time, not on some files while cutting perfectly on others.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Other than new blade, blade holder, and cut strip, take a look at the gear that moves the cut head back and forth. It's basically 2 gears of different sizes welded together and of that weld breaks between them, it cause the gear to slide slightly which caused jagged cutting. It's more rare but worth looking at if the other things don't fix it.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I've had this happen sometimes when i scaled up text that was super small (1" or smaller) to the size on the vehicle (4"+). my software was doing it, so i got into a habit of double clicking the text to edit it, not change it, but allow it to reset it self. solved the problem for me every time.

if it's text, it shouldnt be doing this.

DealerSupplySigns

Thanks for the responses, I knew I could count on you guys. So, our blade is relatively new and I believe my boss went name brand. It still looks to be in great condition. I cleaned out the head, there was a little bit of gunk in there. Looking at the design more closely I can see that the ampersand has that jagged look to it, so it is NOT a cutter issue. It followed what it was told, so that would explain why it was this specific job. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with a font? I'm wondering if I got a poor version of that font or something along those lines.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with a font? I'm wondering if I got a poor version of that font or something along those lines.
i've heard that can happen when you use free versions of commercials fonts that aren't copied properly. but, you know, i wouldn't know ANYTHING at all about that since i always purchase fonts needed for those small, PITA jobs that i make almost nothing on. so, this information is definitely NOT coming from personal experience at all. nope. XD

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
i've heard that can happen when you use free versions of commercials fonts that aren't copied properly. but, you know, i wouldn't know ANYTHING at all about that since i always purchase fonts needed for those small, PITA jobs that i make almost nothing on. so, this information is definitely NOT coming from personal experience at all. nope. XD

Can confirm, we do occasionally get sent fonts for projects that look they've been live-traced as opposed to a real font. Really frustrating.
Probably not your problem, but also 3-in-1 oil can help get the blade turning if you're finding the corners to be rough - but that doesn't look specifically like what you're talking about.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Nothing wrong with your plotter, that's just a crappy character. Works fine when it's 10 point. Blow it up some and watch all the warts reveal themselves. Most typefaces used for smaller copy tend to fall apart when enlarged to a height measured in inches rather than 1/72" increments.