• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jet Black Cracking Problem on Lexedge

Gaugeco Inc.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination and had any issues with the Jet Black foil cracking after being on the lexedge for 6-8 weeks?

Printer: Gerber Edge LE (Classic)
Material Tested:
1. Lexedge outdoor with Zeronine je tblack
2. Lexedge indoor with Zeronine jet black
3. Lexedge outdoor with Gerber jet black (We had the same issue so we switched to zeronine foil)
4. Jet Black printed in reverse on clear then put on lexedge and then cut.

All of the above we get the same result with the jet black cracking after some time.

Mainly we are needing a flat backside block out fill so parts of the decal can be lite up. Kind of how a instrument cluster gauge lights up in a vehicle.

Anyone have any ideas or advise they would like to share? We have thought about hitting and trying 6 or so layers of spot black to get the same effect but the only down side of doing this is that we have to wait for it to crack. So we don't know if it would work for a while.

Gaugeco Inc.

We are using the highest heat setting on the edge, all the vinyl is stored and kept in a temperature controlled front office area. The environment that they are meant to be used is inside of a car behind the clear lens in an instrument cluster. However the ones that are inside our temperature controlled front area and not exposed to anything are having the same thing happen to them.

As far as the issue, the black looks perfect at glance but as soon as you put the sample up to light you can see the tiny cracks in everything.

Here is a picture of what is happening, it looks like it is just happening where the cuts are but that is not the case. Is all all throughout the entire print area just not in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 82

petepaz

we use the zeronine jet black foil. never had it crack after it was out in the field but sometimes had issues printing on the lex edge. it was like the foil just didn't stick to it 100%. i believe the issue was with the lex edge because other colors would do it also. never really got it resolved just had to print more nameplates to get enough for the order