• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Joining ACM

Dale D

Any suggestions on joining 2 to 4 panels of ACM that will be wrapped on its face with vinyl to where its not really visible? I know vinyl manufactures dont suggest "bridging" a gap. I can not find ACM that is 12- 15 ft long. I have 2 similar jobs like this that Im looking at. 1 job is 2ft x 14 ft and the 2nd is 7ft tall x 15 ft wide.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Any suggestions on joining 2 to 4 panels of ACM that will be wrapped on its face with vinyl to where its not really visible? I know vinyl manufactures dont suggest "bridging" a gap. I can not find ACM that is 12- 15 ft long. I have 2 similar jobs like this that Im looking at. 1 job is 2ft x 14 ft and the 2nd is 7ft tall x 15 ft wide.

You are going to have to piece it, and a bridge isn't going to work for any length of time as large panels of ACM expand and contract. I usually print an extra inch at the seam, and wrap the edge of each panel so that when they butt together, they look a little more finished. This seems like large enough signs that the client would understand that it isn't going to be one piece. Most shops don't have the capability of printing or installing a print that large anyway, myself included.

OhioSigns

Manufacturers of ACM facade systems for buildings use large sheets sizes if there are any somewhat local to you. I've got one company local to me that stocks various colors in 62"x196" sheets.

Tubelite carries 4'x12' sheets. I would wrap the inside edges where the seams are so the image flows better and you don't have to worry about the prints shrinking at the seam.

Evan Gillette

Same for us, use quality material that isn't going to shrink back and/or wrap around edge. Here is one we did recently, both sections are two panels butted together.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 233

spectrum maine

you could do a printed flex face that size- seamless signcomp has an extrusion that would work for this. ship to site un stretched mount frame to wall stretch face . done and super clean.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you thought about handling this thing, when it's finished ?? Who's gonna pick it up without bending or creasing ?? That's a lotta sail to be putting up ion the air, especially this time of year.

Here's one we did a few years ago. 5' x 12' panels. From the ground, you cannot see the seams.

wall sign-2.jpg

Here we are almost finished.

wall-2.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Have you thought about handling this thing, when it's finished ?? Who's gonna pick it up without bending or creasing ?? That's a lotta sail to be putting up ion the air, especially this time of year.

Here's one we did a few years ago. 5' x 12' panels. From the ground, you cannot see the seams.

View attachment 149986

View attachment 149987

Looks impressive. What was behind the sign on the wall?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs

View attachment 149986

View attachment 149987

Gino - how did you get the seams on the bottom to cinch up? It looks like they don't line up well on the in-progress photo, but then they do on the finished one. There is a gap behind there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The greyish sign behind there, we put up about 20 years ago. Wooden 1" x 4" stringers about every 2 feet. 4' x 10' MDO panels screwed fast. The company changed their colors and appearance about 8 years ago and we just mounted this right over top. We put a 2" x 4" piece across the back of each panel and put 2 eye hooks in it. Lifted them up and one guy held it in place while the other guy screwed it fast with 2 more screws. Then, we released the 2" x 4" and lowered it for the next panel. The remaining holes were used over again, as the first screws were slightly smaller. We went across the entire top. Then, worked our way down and screwed them all in. A 2" x 6" runner was eventually put at the bottom about 3 or 4" up and that snugged them all up when we got to the bottom. Extra care was given to making sure al the panels were perfectly plumb, so we didn't hafta mess around later on. The whole sign is about 48 some feet long. Might've been an even 50' From one end to the other, either the original sign was off or our new one, but we were only aff by a little over 3/8" . We just did this back in July for a 15' x 30' and an 11' x 28' and again, you couldn't see any seams. However, this one was completely printed when we put it up, so any misalignments could not be seen, but it leveled off perfectly, once again. I'll look for those pictures. Not sure I'll post them as there is too much customer information on them.

Dale D

To be more specific, what I had was a 2 ft tall x 14 ft 9 inch long 2 piece ACM (2x8ft) with vinyl laid on it. It had to be mounted on a brick face and wanted the seam to meet flush. I ended up having to use 1x4 stringers horizontal and 1x4 vertical behind the seam to keep the 2 flush. Thank you guys for all your help.