• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jumping In

Darron

Man am I gald I found y'all! I've learned quite a bit already and look forward to learning a bit more and sharing what I know with you as well. I'm a home-based biz in Austin, TX most of my work is decals for sports leagues and schools with a few signs, small banners, and magnetic stuff to break things up now and then. I'm running a small Lynx with LXI to drive it and my favorite supplier is sign warehouse.

A friend has just asked me to make a sign for his business. Do you have any advice on prepping and using MDF as the backing for the Vinyl lettering?

Best Regards,
Darron

Joseph Dunkle

Welcome to Signs101.com, I just joined yesterday and have already learned so much.

I too would like to learn what to do to MDF to be able to vinyl it.

Lane Booth

Hi!

Welcome Darron, I know just how you feel about finding Signs 101. It's a great place to learn. Sooo much information!!!!!!
:Welcome:

Marlene

Hi:Welcome: I don't trust woods like MDO as such any more as I had a bad experience with them. I preped the MDO with primer, sanded and filled all the voids on the edges, angle sanded the edges so the paint wouldn't have to try to stay on a sharp edge. I've always done my signs like this, but had trouble with the wood anyway and had to replace a lot of jobs. Switched to Alumalite and haven't made a MDO in years.

Steve C.

Welcome to Signs 101.... Sand and fill the edges with good exterior wood filler. Sand edges again and lightly bevel all corners. One coat of One Shot Fast Dry Blockout. Two coats of One Shot Bulletin Enamel. Lightly sand between coats. Alumalite is a better choice if your customer doesn't mind spending an extra $100.

Leondo

i keep hearing about one shot... im not a painting expert but is that a paint like bear or dutch boy? and what colors does it come in?

Steve C.

One Shot is a brand name SignPainters paint. Check with your local sign supply for color charts. It comes in many colors. I sometimes us other brands like Ronan.

Scott Reynolds

If you prep and paint a sign blank it sould be done with a full enamel like one shot or something like it. If you use a latex "house" paint, your vinyl will full off the sign. Hope this helps.

Viva la Fred!

Steve C.

Definitely stay away from Latex for anything you are going to apply vinyl to. And be careful not to be fooled by the name "Latex Enamel" To me it's an Oxymoron.

signdog

FYI,
Be carefull MDF and MDO are two totally different products. Never use regular MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) outdoors. Even the exterior stuff Medex is iffy. You have to follow the manufacturers recommendations to the letter. MDO (Medium Density Overlayed Plywood) has been in use for 30 or more years for outdoor signs. Properly prepared it is usually okay for at least 5 years outdoors. We are fortunate to have a good source of factory finished MDO...Ready for graphics. Unfortunately, there are many too MDO sheets out there that are only suitable for skateboard ramps.
Your best bet is to use Dibond or Alumilite. Just cut it to size and letter it.
For more information on any of these products, just do a "search" on the internet.
My first signs over 30 years ago were done on G1S exterior plywood. Primed and painted with oil based paint.
Have fun making signs and keep on posting.
Cheers,