• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just a small custom column with signage

SignProPlus-Chip

Steel and wire lath form, custom sculpted concrete, and painted for a faux stone finish.

Stands about 5' tall and weighs about 450-500 lbs. We built it in the shop and transported it on site for installation.

Column-LAEW.jpg

SignProPlus-Chip

Really nice... I'm guessing you cast the logo art?

Yes, it's about a 1" thick concrete casting with wire lath in the center for support. We CNC routed a reverese image, built a mold box and poured our concrete mix in. It was then bonded to the sub frame during the scratch coat

The faux finish is very convincing. :rock-n-roll:

Thanks! I had fun doing it...basically a base coat of our lightest color, and two darker browns. You just thin the paint and keep glazing the brick to achive different variations in shade. Some sponge work for "texture" then a double coat of flat clear.

shoresigns

The style the heron is drawn in looks dated, the typography is boring and plain and the end result is really just an expensive rock with a message written on it. It serves the function of labeling the name of the apartments, but not much else. With a bit better design, which wouldn't have been that significant to the overall cost, it could have also served the function of being something memorable that the tenants would appreciate and take ownership of.

Don't take the criticism personally, I just feel there was a missed opportunity here, and hopefully you can take advantage of it the next time you get a job like this.

SignProPlus-Chip

I didn't design it, I just built it. For the record, I am not a fan of the bird.

The style the heron is drawn in looks dated, the typography is boring and plain and the end result is really just an expensive rock with a message written on it. It serves the function of labeling the name of the apartments, but not much else. With a bit better design, which wouldn't have been that significant to the overall cost, it could have also served the function of being something memorable that the tenants would appreciate and take ownership of.

Don't take the criticism personally, I just feel there was a missed opportunity here, and hopefully you can take advantage of it the next time you get a job like this.

shoresigns

I didn't design it, I just built it. For the record, I am not a fan of the bird.

I probably should have mentioned that the workmanship is fantastic, instead of being completely negative! My apologies.

To answer Craig's question, the typography is boring because Futura (along with Gill Sans and others) are far too overused for this type of thing. Using three different types of capitalization in the same font, without even a difference in stroke weight, does not give the typography enough contrast, which is what makes it look bland. That, together with the underline makes it look lazy, because the designer couldn't be bothered to complement it with a second font. Either that, or the customer spec'd the font and the designer was too lazy to argue. The heron looks like a cheap stock image and very dated, and overall the whole design looks like the customer asked for a heron and some text, and they were given the absolute minimum acceptable design, completely cookie-cutter with no creativity and as little thought put into it as possible.

It's still an impressive sign in regards to workmanship; I just have equally high standards for design because design is equally, if not more important than workmanship in the sign business. At best I would say the design is amateur, but not impressive at all.

SignProPlus-Chip

The developer actually has another property in the area. We HAD to copy that typeface etc...from the existing property which suffers the same design weaknesses. Bsically forced to use Futura and Avant Garde together too.

I probably should have mentioned that the workmanship is fantastic, instead of being completely negative! My apologies.

To answer Craig's question, the typography is boring because Futura (along with Gill Sans and others) are far too overused for this type of thing. Using three different types of capitalization in the same font, without even a difference in stroke weight, does not give the typography enough contrast, which is what makes it look bland. That, together with the underline makes it look lazy, because the designer couldn't be bothered to complement it with a second font. Either that, or the customer spec'd the font and the designer was too lazy to argue. The heron looks like a cheap stock image and very dated, and overall the whole design looks like the customer asked for a heron and some text, and they were given the absolute minimum acceptable design, completely cookie-cutter with no creativity and as little thought put into it as possible.

It's still an impressive sign in regards to workmanship; I just have equally high standards for design because design is equally, if not more important than workmanship in the sign business. At best I would say the design is amateur, but not impressive at all.