• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just bought a sp300v!!

DiS

Hi all, looking for my first bit of help on here :Welcome:

Well, new machine seems ok, looking into service menu history print from engineer, this shows lots of facts but concearn to me is the service call history shows 0104, 0105, 0002 0002 **** Could some one explain the codes I have as I have read that 0002 shows main board error and the machine looks like it may have had a new board, could two 0002's mean two new boards have been replaced?

Tried looking for service manual bot no joy as yet!

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Bob

hoppers

Woohoo way to keep this "old" machine alive...I joke as it is not that old and these things are workhorses! Keep it happy with printing and a weekly cleaning (twice a week is best and what I do).

I love my SP300V and had it 1 year (also bought it used). I bought my service manual on ebay but then found out it is on this site, but you need to upgrade to be a contributing member. Without the free service manual, the upgrade is worth it - you wont be disappointed here, great people and a ton of valuable knowledge on top by search and people online posting daily.

Good luck!

PS - 002 code means "sub CPU Communication error" - I don't know much about it, but google it or search here and I'm sure you will find the info.

Dave L.

All those codes are associated with the motors and electricity. Try and find the motor hours... I 2nd getting the service manual.

Tim Aucoin

Congrats and welcome DiS:Welcome:
I too am a new Roland user. Purchased my SP-540v just a month ago. This forum has been a HUGE help. Sometimes you have to weed through a bit of "stuff" to find what you're looking for, but it is a valuable resource. As others have said, PAY the fee for Contributing Member. The resources are well worth the $$. Good luck and again, welcome!:Canada 2:

DiS

SP300v or is it!

Well some serious problems here now, machine bought less than 1 week ago second hand from a Roland dealer, seems its and old sp300 which has had a modification to act as a V...not too pleased as not a true 300V model ie..post 2005 as ordered:frustrated:. Have been duped by supplier - legal action may follow if a solution is not found.. service history sleep and use calculation puts it out as 4.5 years old..

Not too happy here

Trust no one..

DiS

hoppers

Man that stinks to hear...

But I thought (and could be wrong) is that the older SP300 just had newer pumps, dampeners (and a few other things) put in to handle the new eco-sol ink since I thought it came out when these printers were being sold.

Im sure some Roland SP300 veterns can chime in here, but think my SP300V even had the pump upgrade you speak of so maybe the printer you have with the upgrades is not much different then the V model.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. And you say the printer is 4.5 years old, but does the machine have a lot of hours on it and still works well?

If so, I wouldn't worry so much about the age (unless you are having problems with it currently - hope not!)

Good luck though,

-hoppers

Junrall

Well some serious problems here now, machine bought less than 1 week ago second hand from a Roland dealer, seems its and old sp300 which has had a modification to act as a V...not too pleased as not a true 300V model ie..post 2005 as ordered:frustrated:. Have been duped by supplier - legal action may follow if a solution is not found.. service history sleep and use calculation puts it out as 4.5 years old..

Not too happy here

Trust no one..

DiS

Hi DiS,

I have a fairly decent mechanical knowledge of the Rolands and know what you are referring to. I hope that the company did not charge more for the supposed "SP-300V" than they would have for the SP-300.
The good news is that the change was not a serious modification. Both the SP-300 and SP-300V have the same exact main board inside of them. Its just a matter of switches.
The pluss side is that you might have saved money with the rip program, VersaWorks... assuming you recived this with the machine. The SP-300 originally shipped with ColorRip which was cumbersome (my opinion). If an SP-300 owner wanted to "upgrade" to VersaWorks then they would have to shell out a $1000 dollars for a VersaWorks dongle key.
If you didn't pay to high a price for your printer and recieved a copy of VersaWorks then you did well! If you did pay a bit extra thats ok too as you will truely be much happier with VersaWorks rather than ColorRip!
And as for your printer... no worries, there should be no side effects from the modification. :thumb:

DiS

Thanks Hoppers, Junrall, well I did pay the price for a less than 2 year old machine but got a 4.5 year old, trying to get some redress as older machines are bodering on potential problems - more so than a a 2 year old model!.

Did get Versaworks so no too bad, just need to check on the 002 problem .. any ideas..
no service manual yet..to define error.

Many thanks

GTSTech_1

Here's some info on your error codes

Sub CPU Communication Error
Poor communication with Sub CPU
*CAUSE: Sub Board does not work correctly.
Sub CPU does not work correctly.
There is a bad connection between Main
Board and Sub Board.
1) Check Cable Connection between Main Board and Servo Board
2) Servo Board Replacement

3) Main Board Replacement

0104​
Cap Unit Protection Error
Even though the machine begins to perform
cap movement, the error occurs.
Capping unit binding, jammed up or down
Bad cap home sensor
Cap motor or belt problem
Cut-line or short-circuit of Cable and Flexible
Cable
1) Cycle power again or use pipe tool, check for binding, jammed.
2) Check cap sensor, in sensor check mode. "c". Clean or replace.
3) Motor pulley flange separated, belt came loose.
4) Check wiring to cap motor and sensor.
5) If it binds continuously with pipe tool, replace worm gear.

6) Replace cap stepper motor

0105​
Tool Carriage Connection Error
Machine fails to connect the Tool Carriage to
the Head Carriage.
Faulty tool carriage connection
Loose Connection, lock assembly
Fault of the Limit Position Initialize value.
Limit Sensor does not work correctly or is
broken.
1) Check the mechanical Backlash in scan motor gear or drive wire.
2) Lock Position Adjustment
3) Limit Position and Cut Down Position Initialize

4) Limit Sensor check or replacement

Hope this help!!

DiS

Thanks GTstech...makes it a little clearer! Guess I will ever know the solution they sought before I bought, seems it may have had a new mainboard or 2. Anyone know if these are a weak point on Versacamms?

GTSTech_1

Only real weak point on the SP-300 or V is the flexible ribbon cable. It's by far the most replaced part other than your consumables (wipers,dampers,mist pads).

My $.02

GTSTech_1

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
My SP300 is over 4 years old now and it's only had some minor issues - one of the worst was my own fault, I unplugged the printer when I was moving and forgot that it needs to be powered to do it's self cleaning so the ink dosn't dry up in the lines(it was unplugged for four days) and I am having a new problem right now that I'm going to start a new thread for to see if I can get it figured out.It has been a work horse for me just like my old roland PNC1100 was, I've always had good luck with roland and there tech. support has been very good.
Good luck with yours , hope it makes you lots of money!!

Dave L.

GTS, I just fixed an SP-300 cable last week! 4th time on his machine. They punched the holes for the rivets too big.
Good luck Dis, is there any chance they would furnish you with the machine you paid for? I'd call Roland too and explain the situation. If your supplier is an authorized dealer, maybe Roland can lean on him a little. Roland wants you to have a great experience with their machine