• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just for fun

Colin

This is just a fun challenge for all you old timers out there. Don't bother using any font recognition software, as it will not appear, but might you recognize this?

Attachments

• Signs.jpg
    Signs.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 220

Colin

OK, so here's the reveal:

This was a hand-lettered typeface created & used by “Ford DeHaven”, who started Gulf State Signs in 1952 in Winter Haven Florida, and still in business today!
He passed away in September 2016 at the age of 88.

Attachments

• FDH.jpg
    FDH.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 128

SignosaurusRex

Hmmmm.......You gave it all of 1½ hours for us old timers to ponder. You could have resisted a bit longer.
I would guess you found the sample in "The Alphabet Book" (Vol 1 / 1982) from the publishers of SignCraft Magazine.

Val47

Hah, I was just thinking to myself why Rex hadn't chimed in... then I popped in to see you don't disappoint! :rock-n-roll:

SignosaurusRex

Hah, I was just thinking to myself why Rex hadn't chimed in... then I popped in to see you don't disappoint! :rock-n-roll:
:doh: What the heck... first day back after the road trip I was thinking about taking (finally did so completely unplugged) and nothing much else to chime in on.
Seems pretty boring after 3 weeks, 4500 miles and 9 States.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Only people who did speedball or off the brush lettering would recognize that. I still have some 1950's speedball books. I think even Mike Stevens hits on that very subject.

SignosaurusRex

Erm, I gave it two full days.
Hmmm.... Time is not one of my strong points. I think I pondered your post for about 20 seconds before responding ...but it could have been 20 minutes. Who the HeII knows.
IMHO, That particular style would best be left for use on Show Cards and the like.